• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle/steering swap/mod!!

ZacSquatch

NAXJA Forum User
I have my HPd30 from my 96 and i'm swapping it onto my 99 to get rid of the LPd30 and fix a few steering issues while I'm at it.

I've looked at a few threads, Ive pretty much decided on over-the-knuckle conversion and I'm mainly wondering who to get it from, i know Rusty's and T&T sell the kit but I dont know if their all the same or if ones crap. I was also gonna get the Rusty's trac-bar/HD bracket/Frame stiffner kit but i've heard some knarly stories of rusty's trac bar breaking.
Also gonna run a steering box bracket and ZJ pitman arm for another inch drop.
At the same time I'll be lifting another 1" in the front and 1.5" in the back

Of course cheaper is better but I don't want to make it shitty, need to do this right.

BTW, going on my 99 4" as of now, soon to be 5"

Or not?

Well, from experience, if you do go OTK, you will need to cut off both sway bar brackets on the axle end, cut off the steering stabilizer bracket, and cut out the TB bracket at the frame end.

The rustys kit is fine and dandy, but there was a thread about the quality of the TB.

The TnT kit looks good as well, using Chevy 1 ton stuff. From the only pic they have on their website, it looks like you have to do custom mounts as well.

It might be cheaper to buy all the stuff for the steering, and make your own. Modify a TB, or make your own again.

Another thing, Id just stick with the stock pitman arm. No need to get a dropped one, IMO.

Another thing is, that rod ends like in the Rusty's kit, wont last as long as TRE's. Also, TRE's can be had at damn near any auto parts store, as where rod ends, you would have to order them, or get them from a local 4x4 or speed shop.

Last edited:
Got any pics?Your 99 would be the first LP D30 on record!

rod.jpg

Back