• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle opinions

crazy_cooter56

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I know I'm going to full width what I have to decide is wether to use a 1/2 ton setup or 3/4. I have a 14 bolt in my garage I can use and can buy a 3/4 ford 44 for 200 bucks. but I have a set of rims for the 1/2ton setup already and can get a set for about 300. Just not sure how hard it is to make a radius arm setup work decent. What would you do? I'm leaning a little towards the stronger option with a little more work and money in the long run to get it going but maybe a little less money on repairs I guess possible. Shoot me your opinions.

My opinion is, you'll never want less strength, but if you go with the 1/2 ton setup, you could be wanting more strength. I would go with the 3/4 ton.

you never want less strength, but often you do want more clearance

go with the 14 bolt only if you're going 37s or bigger, and then you still need to shave it, or at least knock the useless 1inch lip off the bottom. my friend just swapped a 14bolt with 36" hummer tires, and the thing is still a rock anchor, but they're so beefy at least you don't have to worry about dragging it a bit.

My dream axles for under $2k (over $2k would be Volvo portals) would be a Tundra/T100 rear and Ford HPD44 Chevy 6 lug outers and Warns/CTMs, then run some 37" Krawlers.

Back