• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle buy and swap, Parker area - anyone willing to help a brother out?

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings CO cats,

Question for you local guys out there that are probably handier with this than i am.....I've got a '97 with the UpCountry package and 2" additional inches of lift.

Yup, got the DeeTurdyFive. I thought I read that UpCountrys came with 3.73s, but my diff tag reads 3.54 or 3.55 (can't remember right now). Want to swap it for an 8.25. 27 or 29 spline, don't really care. Why an 8.25? 1- Because I doubt I'll ever to go bigger than 33s. 2 - I have no fab skills to go to an 8.8 or something else. 3 - I have to do this on the cheap. And 4 - I can find one with the same gear ratio so I don't have to fiddle with gears.

Two things, then. Can anyone point me in the right direction for obtaining an 8.25? Secondly, when I obtain this thing, is anyone willing to assist in the swap? I can provide fermented sodas, good food, and a little cash. Can drive to you, so long as you're not way out in the Boonies.

Much thanks guys!

Well...first are you positive your axle is a dana 35? IIRC, 97+ XJs came with a 29-spline 8.25 or Dana 35. Here's a pic of the 8.25 so you can compare (notice rolled lip on edge of cover, and flat line on bottom of diff):

4275-rear-axle.jpg

Second, if you are doing the upgrade I recommend swapping in a 29-spline 8.25. The general consensus is that they are much stronger than the 27-spline. As far as obtaining an axle, you can check craigslist for any 97+ XJ part outs and check the local yards. Sort through them from there.

Did you install your own lift? If you did I think you can tackle the axle swap. Good luck!

Much thanks for the offer, Crimzon! Now to get a hold of that axle....

Yep, I'm sure it's a 35. I've got ABS, so that's a dead ringer (and the fact that I've checked it closely). I did install the lift myself, no trouble at all. That being said, I haven't yet tried to install the replacement rear shocks because I'm not yet mentally prepared for the upper-bolt breakge, nor the thought of trying to hammer out the weld nuts without air tools, so I haven't yet tried to tackle that....

When I installed my lift I was afraid of the rear shock weld nuts as well. Count on them breaking. I didn't need any sort of air tool to remove them. I used a 3/8" ratchet with a socket and broke them off that way, no sweat :).

Just curious, are you upgrading to a rear locker in the near future?

I can also help out with those upper shock bolts if you are afraid of em. I put new shocks on my brothers jeep and it is from wisconsin. (Its a rust bucket) I managed to break all four of them on his. Took me an hour by myself to figure out how to fix it. When I started I thought to myself I know these are all gonna break lol.

Much thanks again! It's really not the fear of breaking the bolts, as I've got four grade 8 replacement bolts, lockwashers and nuts to take their place.....it's the idea of what I have to do once they are already broken. I'll have to knock out the weld nuts - which I hear can be real mutha truckers to get out of there without an air hammer. All I've got is my lowly 4-lb multi-tool (read: hammer) and a punch to get them out. But at some point in the Jeep's life, those shocks have been replaced, so maybe they won't be so bad.....but I'm not counting on it.

Did you read my reply?? :confused1 I had no hammer, no chisel, no air tools, shotgun, or anything. I used a 3/8" ratchet and torqued the weld nuts as hard as I could and they all broke off. It took me less than 2 minutes to remove all of them. It's not hard at all. If you have a 1/2" ratchet I bet you could do it in a minute.

However, I'll drive to Parker for gas money and a fermented soda and do it for you if you are still afraid :jester:

I have had two XJ's, none of the upper shock bolts broke when I replaced the rear shocks, so you might get lucky and they will come out. :peace: Cross your fingers.

^Yep, changed mine out last year and didn't break any bolts. Gotta love CO jeeps!

Give 'em a good PB soaking (few days worth, multiple applications) before you go at it.

Did you read my reply?? :confused1 I had no hammer, no chisel, no air tools, shotgun, or anything. I used a 3/8" ratchet and torqued the weld nuts as hard as I could and they all broke off. It took me less than 2 minutes to remove all of them. It's not hard at all. If you have a 1/2" ratchet I bet you could do it in a minute.

However, I'll drive to Parker for gas money and a fermented soda and do it for you if you are still afraid :jester:

How did you get to the weld nuts with the ratchet though - cut through the floor? Excuse my mild retardation....

How did you get to the weld nuts with the ratchet though - cut through the floor? Excuse my mild retardation....

Haha, I'm the one that's retarded! I completely forgot that I had to cut through the floor board. I drilled a hole with a 5/8" bit and used snips to cut. I didn't cut out a hole because I didn't want a dent in my cargo liner. So I basically cut a flap, bent it up to take out the weld nuts, then bent it back down.

Haha, I'm the one that's retarded! I completely forgot that I had to cut through the floor board. I drilled a hole with a 5/8" bit and used snips to cut. I didn't cut out a hole because I didn't want a dent in my cargo liner. So I basically cut a flap, bent it up to take out the weld nuts, then bent it back down.

I knew it wasn't the whole story!! :D

Yep, I'm sure it's a 35. I've got ABS, so that's a dead ringer (and the fact that I've checked it closely).
So, what are you going to do about the ABS?

Back