• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 Fluid source?

Pennzoil Syncromesh in my AX-15 for the last threee years.

David Bricker / SYR

FWIW, Autozone repair guides recommend 75/90W GL-5

Also FWIW (I know XCM asked about AX-15's) According to my 01 FSM, Jeep put in NV3550's in newer models which call for only Mopar PN 4761526. According to the "Forums" it's a lifetime lube ;)

-Ron

fwiw gl5 isnt good for ax15's

FWIW, Autozone repair guides recommend 75/90W GL-5

and so did the factory manual.

both are wrong.

I filled my with 4 quarts.
it's 3.5 if you fill to the fill hole. I fill through the shifter. the extra half quart is good for the output bearing.

no reason to remove the shifter housing, that's PITA.
pop the interior shift boot, pull up the dust cover on the shifter that's attached to the tower. Push the "cup" in the tower down, rotate it CCW (IIRC), it pops like a dzus fastener. Watch out for the spring under there.

pour in your 4 quarts, pop the shifter back in, be sure to push the cup down far enough to clear the pins or you'll break off the leg. put the dust boot and interior boot back and your done. Takes 15 minutes to drain and fill an ax-15.

If the large body boot is torn (it likely is because no one takes apart the shifter to remove it) you can slip a latex glove down over the shifter. The middle finger will fit the shifter perfectly, and the hand opening will slide over your torn accordion boot. fixes the nasty smells coming from the console. That particular piece of rubber hasn't been available for years.

on my 99 the shift boot is a night mare to remove. I will go though the fill hole i guess.

A cheap fluid pump from the autoparts store makes filling the transmission a breeze

I just put redline mt90 in my ax15 and hoping its gonna improve my going into reverse. Havent driven it yet as its still in my shop being built....

I just got some mt90 from the independent parts store around the corner, I just looked at my gear oil, and I guess I used gl5 synthetic a month ago. I guess i just believed the parts guy... oops. Has anyone looked at something like john Deere hy gard? If anyone knows about brass in transmissions I'm sure they do...

API GL-3 is not recommended for hypoid gears. Looking it up on amsoil page has them saying a GL-5 and recommending their severe gear oil. It's not cheap, 11.55 a quart at wholesale prices. If the GL5 rating is in error they also have GL-4 oil. I've been running it in my diffs without issue. I have an AW4, so it's running the amsoil ATF without issues.

Mark

API GL-3 is not recommended for hypoid gears. Looking it up on amsoil page has them saying a GL-5 and recommending their severe gear oil. It's not cheap, 11.55 a quart at wholesale prices. If the GL5 rating is in error they also have GL-4 oil. I've been running it in my diffs without issue. I have an AW4, so it's running the amsoil ATF without issues.

Mark

This is not a hypoid thing. This is a brass synchro thing. If you read the 1998 FSM (My year, and my Jeep bible), page 21-39 specifically states, "Recommended lubricant for AX15 transmissions is (sic.) API Grade GL-3 Gear Lubricant or Equivalent". There are also documented cases of GL-5 eating brass sintered synchros due to the sulfur content. Correct me if I am wrong?

Last edited:
They have an API GL-4 manual transmission oil. Like I said, if the owners manual is in error and it needs a GL-4 they have it. Sounds like most people are running GL-4 without issues.

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...and-transaxle-gear-lube-75w-90/?code=MTGQT-EA

the owner's manual is wrong, most places are wrong because they got the info from Chrysler.
it's well documented. Toyota has never recommended GL-5 oil for this line of trans, always a GL3/4 oil. Sulfur and yellow metals is bad.

MT 90 is gl-4 oil.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46

Are you an amsoil dealer or something? It's all been covered rather well, and no one needs you to give out bad information. It's already screwed up enough with people that believe Chrysler.
The original spec was GL-3. GL-4 is the superseded spec and is backwards compatible. GL-5 is a no no.

Are you an amsoil dealer or something? It's all been covered rather well, and no one needs you to give out bad information. It's already screwed up enough with people that believe Chrysler.
The original spec was GL-3. GL-4 is the superseded spec and is backwards compatible. GL-5 is a no no.

LOL Amsway

Back