• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 solenoids

TwistedSymphony said:
I am using the TCU, and the TPS from the parts rig. I think that this TPS is bad, and will be switching back to the old one (not shift related...just over-revs lots of times when I start it). I will be checking the speed sensor, and I will report back. Thanks lawsoncl.

5-90, my apologies...I stepped out of line. It wont happen again :(.

Quite all right - we all need reminding from time to time...

When I'm upset, I'll type out what I'm saying, then go for a sandwich. Come back in five minutes, review your post, then hit the "commit" button. Not only will this allow you to edit out your frustration, it will probably also clear your head enough to let you see something that you missed saying before - which is probably critical to those of us trying to help you with that particular problem...

5-90

Well just for the fun of it, I decided to try somthing today.

http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354855

I went to the hardware store, bought a on-off-on switch, and wired it up. It was very crude, and I had my brother in the front seat with the switch. I put it in 1-2 and started up the road. He flipped the switch, and it shifted into second gear. My solenoid change was sucessful, however, I tested the solenoids that I took out of the MJ, and they are at 12.4 ohms. There is somthing else up here.

I like shifting with a switch...are there any guides, that would allow me to have four switches, and have one for each gear? I know BrettM has somthing like this, but I cant afford $150 for this mod now. Anything I can do using hardware store parts?

I think that I'm going to wire in 2 more switches, each for one solenoid. That way I can just shift like that...might be confusing. Ideally, I would like a pushbutton panel much like a tape player, but with 4 buttons. You press one to complete the circuit, and then when another button is depressed, the first one pops out. Are these made anywhere?

TwistedSymphony,

Based on all your test data, it sounds to me like the signal wires to the solenoids are grounded out in the wiring harness probably somewhere between the TCU and the solenoids! You might running some new wires there.

If not, then the TCU output to the solenoids is grounded, meaning a bad TCU.

TwistedSymphony said:
I think next, I will try a different TCU, and try to follow the wiring harness back, to locate a short. Thanks!

:shocked: If it is a short, find it first! Don't risk burning up a second TCU!!!!:shiver:

Disconect the TCU connection and the transmission connection ends of the harness. Then check the resitance of each TCU wire connection to ground against an FSM. If no wires are shorted to ground, or to each other (be sure and check that too!!!) then try the second TCU.

Back