• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Fluid ATF+4 >>> Dex III

Jeepguy03

NAXJA Forum User
I know the subject of ATF+4 in the AW4 has been beat to death. Hasta The place I got my XJ from 2 years ago changed all the fluids in it before I bought it. In the service records it states they put ATF+4 in the tranny (it came from a Chryco dealership). I haven't had any issues with it, but found some Super Tech Dex/Merc III at Walmart and have been thinking about using that instead of the ATF. Its time to change out the fluid, and I would like to use the drain, fill, drive, repeat method since I don't have any way to pump out the fluid all at once. My question is would it be bad to mix the ATF+4 thats in there and the Dex III? I plan on draining it a few times until all the fluid is new.

doubt it'll matter at all. You'll never get it all out BTW, even after I had had an AW4 sitting around for months with the pan off, pulling the valve body off yielded another quart or two and disassembling it a bit further got another quart out. Just aim for "most" of it and call it good enough.

If you are going to use Dexron use the latest (VI iirc) as others are no longer licensed and are basically the manufacturer's idea of what the fluid should be, with no verification from GM.

I only use older ATFs (rather, just about any ATF) in my transfer case, since there are no clutches in the 231 and 242 it's just acting as a lightweight gear and chain lube so basically any ATF I have at hand is compatible.

Okay thanks! Yeah I know I won't get it all out, but I'm aiming to get most of it out. Also, it looks like my trans is a bit overfull so I'm going to have to open the drain plug anyway. How much usually comes out with just a drain? I think I remember hearing 4 quarts but just want to be sure.

On my 99, I got between 3-4 quarts with a pan drain of the AW4.

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue using DEX/MERC III compatible fluid.

Be sure not to overfill when you refill. Fill in really small amounts and keep checking the dipstick. Be sure engine and tranny are hot and transmission fully exercised when you do your final dipstick checks!

I recommend Amsoil Synthetic Universal ATF.

All ATF is synthetic... the rest of the name is pretty cool though.

I stand corrected... damn, that's twice today :dunce:

As said, unless you completely tear down your AW4, clean every nook and cranny, then rebuild it with new brakes/clutches and use a brand new torque converter, you aren't going to get all of the old fluid out.

So I'm going to buy the fluid today. Do I use the Dex/Merc III "compatible" such as Super Tech? Or do I use Dexron VI? Some say use Dex VI because it is licensed, others say use the Dex III compatible fluid. :roll: I'd like to get the ATF+4 out of it.

I'd like to get the ATF+4 out of it.

If you have the facilities (and the stomach), you could disconnect the pressure line to the radiator cooler, and let the tranny's pump push out the fluid. Take out three or four quarts, replace, do it again. This would be a good time to install an auxillary cooler, if you havent done so yet. I started adding aux. coolers almost forty years ago, and every auto trans car I've had to give up on went to its final resting place with a good tranny....

If you have the facilities (and the stomach), you could disconnect the pressure line to the radiator cooler, and let the tranny's pump push out the fluid. Take out three or four quarts, replace, do it again. This would be a good time to install an auxillary cooler, if you havent done so yet. I started adding aux. coolers almost forty years ago, and every auto trans car I've had to give up on went to its final resting place with a good tranny....

Thats a good idea. I do plan on getting a cooler, but right now its 12 degrees out and I'm doing this in my icey driveway. I'm going to just use the drain and fill method a few times, then install the cooler once its a bit warmer. The Jeep has had ATF+4 in it since it was serviced by the dealer a year ago, and right now its slightly overfilled. Which is better to use the Dex VI or the Dex III compatible? They have Super Tech Dex III compatible at WalMart.

I guess Dexlll would be the first choice, as it was probably Dexron or Dexll that was originally specified by the manufacturer. I haven't heard of any horror stories about using synthetic fluid after running petroleum based fluid in a slushbox, unlike my own personal experience of adding synthetic motor oil to my then over 100k '92, which before hadn't leaked a drop. Ever heard of theExxon Valdez?

I guess Dexlll would be the first choice, as it was probably Dexron or Dexll that was originally specified by the manufacturer. I haven't heard of any horror stories about using synthetic fluid after running petroleum based fluid in a slushbox, unlike my own personal experience of adding synthetic motor oil to my then over 100k '92, which before hadn't leaked a drop. Ever heard of theExxon Valdez?

No I haven't. I run synthetic fluids in the Motor and diffs without any issue. Automatic trannies are something I don't know much about so I figure just run what fluid is called for. I ended up just getting some Coastal Dex/Merc. Says on the back its good for Dex II and Dex III. Also, would there be any specific coolers you recommend? I have a hitch but don't tow anything at the moment. I've been looking at the B&M coolers as well as some of the JEGS.com coolers.

i dont believe that Dex VI is compatible with the "yellow" metals that are in the AW4

i dont believe that Dex VI is compatible with the "yellow" metals that are in the AW4

I'm very confused by this, afaik there are no yellow metals in the AW4 and no sulphur in dexron or mercon. I believe you are thinking of the synchros in AX15s vs gl5 grade lubes not listed as yellow metal safe.

must have had a dyslexic moment!

I wouldn't use the Dex VI, it's much thinner. Yes it's synthetic so it should handle the heat, but it was designed for gas mileage, not wear and tear. I'd probably stick with good old fashioned dino oil Dex III.

this told to me by the GM dealer tech when I went to get Dex III for my father in laws truck when I added a trans cooler. Yes, I went to the dealer for fluids, because the truck may be 6 years old, but it has 25K miles on it and I wanted to stick with what GM had put in there.

Back