• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 damaged?

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
Hey guys, got a little story and a few questions ya. So today I'm driving to work and I noticed the tranny seemed to be slipping. My first thought well it's pretty cold out maybe she's gonna start actin' up on me then it got progressively worse. So I pulled into the first gas staion I saw, put it in neutral (to check the fluid) and before opening the hood I smelled tranny fluid, not good. So then I opened the hood and just as I'm feeling for the latch I felt something that felt a bit like tranny juice. Suprise suprise that's what it was. It looked like someone tossed a dexron grenade under my hood. So I pull the dip stick and nothing. Then I shut her off and started snoopin' around and found that one of the cooler lines had somehow made up its mind to disconnect itself. Next I tried putting it back on. Yah that was a joke. So I lopped off the fitting from the rubber hose and jammed it on the steel line, dug me out a hose clamp, and proceeded to buy some dexron III. She took a total of 5 quarts. Checked it, and it was full on the cold side(not always reliable). Hopped on the highway and made to work in time.
now for the questions

I drove about a 1/4 mile before I noticed the slipping, could this have done any serious damage?
If so how long should I expect her to last?
And if and when she goes how much should I expect to give for a rebuild kit?

Thanks in advance

obviously that wasn't good for the tranny, but it's hard to say just how much damage was done. the AW4 is a very tough tranny, I wouldn't worry about it unless it gives you more trouble.

if it does go bad, don't bother rebuilding it. the AW4 doesn't take to rebuilds well and it's commonly agreed that it's more cost effective to simply swap a low-mileage unit.

BrettM said:
obviously that wasn't good for the tranny, but it's hard to say just how much damage was done. the AW4 is a very tough tranny, I wouldn't worry about it unless it gives you more trouble.

if it does go bad, don't bother rebuilding it. the AW4 doesn't take to rebuilds well and it's commonly agreed that it's more cost effective to simply swap a low-mileage unit.

x2

I haven't had to rebuild an AW4, but they can be had very cheap from a scrapyard, or someone who's parting out an XJ. I did have my 46rh on my old 93 ZJ rebuilt, and seriously regretted it. I thought, "Pay the extra money, and never need to worry about it again"; and I had to deal with issues for months afterwards. Made me wish I'd stuck with an XJ, and just bought a low K unit.

:)

Agreed with all above. I have overheated mine to the point it literally boiled the fluid out of the top of the tranny and it caused a smoke screen going down the highway. i waited on the side of the road for a while, hopped back in, and she ran fine. The fluid was dark brown though,(BURNT!!!). I went to a tranny shop, had it fully flushed and it was fine after that.

the AW4 IS a tough tranny.

I don't think you have alot to worry about there. 2 years and 30K miles ago I popped a t-cooler line on the trail 20 miles from the nearest phone (let alone anywhere I could buy tranny fluid). I only knew about it cause it wouln't go any more. I think I probably drove it 2-3 miles as it was bleeding out. It was hemmoraging t-fluid. Fixed the hose just like you did. So after catching a ride and leaving my rig out there to get some t-fluid I filled it up (4-5 qts.) and drove home, haven't had a single problem since.

Except to say I re-did all my t-cooler line connections and now carry 4 qts. of fluid wherever I go.

I have aw4 247k 6in lift was slipping going into 2 changed the fluid n filter. Now its shifting like a champ.

Mine was slipping this past summer so I took it to AAMCO to get it checked they said they needed to rebuild it because it was worn out, not locking up like it should and slipping from OD to 2nd a lot, but it was a Saturday and they wanted it back on Monday. They just diagnosed it and added a quart of Dextron to it. By monday it was fine no slipping and OD was working fine so I never went back. It is my DD and I have had NO further problems.

Back