• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 + ATF+4 = no good??

OK, that's a bit better.

Sam's in Worcester generally has anywhere from half a dozen to a dozen XJs, once in a long while an MJ, and usually 18-20 ZJs and WJs.

Might be a bit late on this one but I just did a tottal flush and filter on my AW4 a few weeks ago and sude Mobil Dex VI and it loves it! Shifts beautiful and run's a bit cooler as well!!!!

I have a 98 that I bought in 03. The first thing I did when I bought it was change all the fluids. I have flushed the transmission every two years since then with ATF+4 with no problems. When I first bought the Jeep, I had a hard time finding ATF+4. I also do the diffs, and transfer case at the same time. Coolant gets it once a year. Engine oil every 3000-4000.

hey buddy, You have an jeep cherokee ???? you just say the year... I would like to know if you have a jeep XJ because I already changed my transmision oil with ATF+4, and I don't know if it will work out with my AW4 tramsmision, i have a leak I have to repair it first before to go out and take a ride. :wow:

Anybody using Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF ? I use the maxlife oil in my 89 MJ and was thinking of doing the incremental transmission fluid change using the MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF

I started the incremental change to Valvoline MaxLife ATF about four years ago. Silky shifts and no problems to date FWTW.

Note that it is a full synthetic and in the past many have suggested that your AW4 will blow up as soon as you introduce it. This thread seems to have more posters who believe the AW4 is tolerant of the synthetics.

Seeing that Chryco trannys are complete garbage, why would I trust them with fluid? The smoother the shifting= slipping= the more wear you put on the clutch bands = the faster your tranny will wear out. I would just do a drain and fill every year with DexIII/IV/V/VI or whatever # they are on now. "Synthetic" transmission fluid is way over rated.

I've been using maxlife for quite some time in my 96 XJ and since November or so in my 91 MJ. The XJ's transmission was abused and not maintained by its previous owner and died a terrible death regardless, the MJ's transmission is at 228k with no rebuild (I started it on maxlife around 200 or 205 with a drain and fill, the fluid was completely black when it came out.) It has driven thousands of miles with anywhere from half a ton to three quarters of a ton of jeep parts in the back and my heavy foot on the pedal, never slips, shifts great, and only overheats when I do 80mph up a several mile long mountain pass... which is more because the radiator has almost no fins left.

The transmission hasn't leaked a significant amount of oil for its age either - it started off about a pint high in November and is still a little overfilled. I take this to indicate the seals are fine with it.

So yeah, I'd run maxlife without fear.

Seeing that Chryco trannys are complete garbage, why would I trust them with fluid? The smoother the shifting= slipping= the more wear you put on the clutch bands = the faster your tranny will wear out. I would just do a drain and fill every year with DexIII/IV/V/VI or whatever # they are on now. "Synthetic" transmission fluid is way over rated.

I agree about Chrysler trannies- but the XJ doesn't use a Chrysler unit. The AW4 is an Aisin Warner Japanese transmission.

Toyota pn 00718-ATF00 " formulated to replace Dextron II or Dextron III in applicable Toyota models." If you want the closest to original fluid. $4.15 a quart at Toyota dealer

I agree about Chrysler trannies- but the XJ doesn't use a Chrysler unit. The AW4 is an Aisin Warner Japanese transmission.

Yeah, I know that, duh!

I was saying that since Chrysler can't make a tranny that lasts like the AW4, then why would I use a fluid THEY make/spec?

On the other hand, there is the occasional "I didn't know there was a difference between a Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee" person who shows up, and says they have a cherokee... :twak:

Might be a bit late on this one but I just did a tottal flush and filter on my AW4 a few weeks ago and sude Mobil Dex VI and it loves it! Shifts beautiful and run's a bit cooler as well!!!!

Just wondering how you determined that it runs a bit cooler?

Apply your favorite penetrating oil and a small amount of heat... have a fire extinguisher on hand and DO NOT go overboard. Use a heat gun instead of anything with an open flame.

You might have to replace the O-ring but that's about it.

If you don't have a way to heat it without lighting it on fire, remove the 10mm bolt holding it and the bellhousing shield plate to the bellhousing and snake the whole contraption out the bottom, then either put it back in the same way or use penetrating oil and heat/fire/the wrath of god to get it out.

Apply your favorite penetrating oil and a small amount of heat... have a fire extinguisher on hand and DO NOT go overboard. Use a heat gun instead of anything with an open flame.

You might have to replace the O-ring but that's about it.

If you don't have a way to heat it without lighting it on fire, remove the 10mm bolt holding it and the bellhousing shield plate to the bellhousing and snake the whole contraption out the bottom, then either put it back in the same way or use penetrating oil and heat/fire/the wrath of god to get it out.

I thought about visegrips with cushioned jaws.

Don't bother, it'll crush the tubing out of round if you even look at it funny, and that presses the pieces together even more solidly :smsoap:

I started the incremental change to Valvoline MaxLife ATF about four years ago. Silky shifts and no problems to date FWTW.

Note that it is a full synthetic and in the past many have suggested that your AW4 will blow up as soon as you introduce it. This thread seems to have more posters who believe the AW4 is tolerant of the synthetics.

Probably the same people who think an engine will blow up if you put synthetic motor oil in it. :laugh:

:soapbox:don't know about blowing up your motor with synthetic, but I had changed oil in my v-6 Honda to Mobil 1(was not overfilled I always checked everything before that trip, have you seen the Hills Have Eyes? ) and it blew out the rear main seal going up I-15 to Las Vegas at about midnight:smoker:. Drove it anyways limping along ,made a three hour trip into a 5 hour trip. After that trip I'll only put synthetic in trans cases, diffs, ect... something without much pressure in there.

Back