• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw 4 tranny problems

We pulled my buddies TPS and checked it out with a multimeter and it appeared to be in check. So I guess he's gonna need some new shift solenoids. You're probably in the same boat.

NO we haven't checked the solenoids yet. Since pulling the pan is a little more involved and we didn't have the time to check them out yet. But we will before we buy new solenoids.

NO we haven't checked the solenoids yet. Since pulling the pan is a little more involved and we didn't have the time to check them out yet. But we will before we buy new solenoids.

Measuring at the TCU connector is pretty easy. I'd only pull the pan and measure directly at the solenoid if they didn't measure correct at the TCU connector under the dash. 11-15 ohm resistance is the spec if my memory is still working this morning. See http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift%20Pointers/index.html for the pinout.

Have you verified all the engine grounds? In particular the braided ground strap that runs from the back of the valve cover to the firewall? Just skimming back and looking at everything, a bad firewall-engine ground could contribute to a number of these odd problems.
Do this. It's amazing the crap that will crop up from a bad ground, and from this one n particular.

Measuring at the TCU connector is pretty easy. I'd only pull the pan and measure directly at the solenoid if they didn't measure correct at the TCU connector under the dash. 11-15 ohm resistance is the spec if my memory is still working this morning. See http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift%20Pointers/index.html for the pinout.

I'm glad you said that there's no need to drop the pan. I've seen that writeup by the 80's pr0n star before but never actually read through it. Also does anyone know when they dropped the inline fuse for the TCU? I can't find one on my buddies 98.

Well we checked the resistance and I couldn't get a reading from pin C15 same as shift solenoid #2. I didn't get continuity either from that pin. But I did get a reading of 12 something from pin C14 and C16 and I got continuity from both of them also. My question is what reading were you guys getting from your bad solenoids? Anything?

Also according to my OBDII scanner I'm getting P0753 which is supposed to be a problem with solenoid "A" or 1, but it seems I'm actually having issues with solenoid #2 or B.

My buddies xj wont shift until about 3500 rpms but then drops down to about 1k.

Well we checked the resistance and I couldn't get a reading from pin C15 same as shift solenoid #2. I didn't get continuity either from that pin. But I did get a reading of 12 something from pin C14 and C16 and I got continuity from both of them also. My question is what reading were you guys getting from your bad solenoids? Anything?

Also according to my OBDII scanner I'm getting P0753 which is supposed to be a problem with solenoid "A" or 1, but it seems I'm actually having issues with solenoid #2 or B.

I agree it does sounds like a bad #2, not sure why you got a code for a bad A solenoid. That would make you miss 2nd and 3rd, shifting from 1st into 4th. Usually a bad solenoid will read high resistance of like 30 ohms, open circuit, or sometimes shorted to ground.

I'm thinking it's time to check the wiring from the firewall down to the trans, and then pull the pan and measure the solenoids directly.

Back