• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

auto to manual swap

ok, so, lets see if ive got this right, i need to jumper the b and c terminals on the neutral safety switch wire thingy's, i need to get a flywheel from an 89 manual...not the one that i have currently which is an 89 auto...i need to get the clutch and brake pedal assy., i need to get the master cylinder that bolts to the firewall, i have to use the t-case that is on the manual trans, not the one from my auto trans, i have to use the driveshaft from the manual trans b/c its a dif length, and of course i need the pilot bearing, pressure plate, and clutch...is that it?? plz somebody correct me if this is wrong or if im missing something! thanks everyone

Make sure that when you mount your new flywheel, you match the orientation of the old flywheel. It does matter how you mount that for your sensor to read correctly.

sigmund said:
Make sure that when you mount your new flywheel, you match the orientation of the old flywheel. It does matter how you mount that for your sensor to read correctly.

I seem to recall that one of the six holes for the flywheel/flexplate screws is offset just a touch - so the thing probably only goes on one way! I've got a habit of marking the hole for the first screw I take out, but I seem to recall helping a few guys with that over the last few months...

Not Murphy-proof, but getting closer to idiot-proof... Never underestimate the ability of Mr. Murphy and his ilk...

I would get a new presser, clutch plate, bearings trany mount. Check the flywheel for flatness over heating (hard spots) excess cracks. All most any flywheel of that age will have tiny TIGHT cracks and that's fine. Open cracks and look for a new(er) one.

ook...soo..i found a jeep, its a 1994 cherokee sport 4 door, 4.0l, ax-15 manual trans..np231 t-case...or w/e one's just 2hi 4hi 4lo...anyways...im planning on swapping the whole drivetrain from the 94 jeep into my 1989 jeep cherokee 4 door, 4.0l aw4 auto...np231 t-case....will i have any problems?? i know besides bolting the clutch and brake pedals and the mast cyl...but should everything motor and trans-wise bolt up? also i was wondering about what electronics will i have problems with in my 89 engine bay trying to hook em up to a 94 motor/trans...plz help trying to start this proj tonight!!

pull the 94 drivetrain and ECU and Harness. The motor mounts will line up, as far as the tranny mount, im not sure you may need to fab a Xmember or use the one off the 94.

soo...im having issues w/my swap...the front axle on my 89 4.0/aw4/np231/is a vacuum axle...so it has the vacuum lines going from the axle actuator up underneath/behind the purge canister and then joining w/a fitting and going back to the t-case....well the t-case from the 94 4.0/ax-15/np231/does not have the spot for these vacuum lines from the axle to hook up to it...one reason is b/c the front axle on the 94 is not a vacuum one like the one on my 89, and also probly just b/c its newer but ne ways im wondering..how am i guna make my front axle work right?? and also...the speedo is a cable from the t-case on the 89 and its electronic on the 94..just has the wire/wire's plugging into the t-case instead of the cable mechanism thingy so...i guess im wondering if i should/if i can switch the tailcone on those 2 t-case's...i mean the one from the 94 was behind an ax-15 manual trans...so i know the spline count is dif...but im not switchin ne thing thats on the spline by switching the tailcone...end piece of the t-case...w/e its called...am i? somebody help[!!!! plz!!

In a pinch you can rotate the vaccume housing around so that the axle is always connected. The housing bolts are symetrical and by rotating it the fork holds the connecting ring in the locked position.

so..i have a problem...i put the 94 engine and wire harness, including computer..basically everything thats hooked to the wire harness and allt he vacuum lines and everything in my 89...so..now i have a 94 4.0, ax-15, 231, in my 89 body....so i get everything hooked up and i have no ignition...turn the key on...nothing buzzes like normally, and nothin happens when i hit the key...does it have something to do w/the 3 wires that come through the firewall right above the gas pedal that are hooked to the 94 harness...b/c they aren't hooked to ne thing...there was nothing in the 89 to hook them to...so...what might my problem/problems be?

Did you bypass the neutral saftey switch? There are a couple wires you need to cross that used to go to the auto. I can't remember witch ones but I found the info here searching around when I did my manual swap.

well...is my neutral safety switch even still there? i replaced the entire wire harness...or is the switch wired in somewhere else...when i turn the key on absolutely nothing happens, no buzzer, no fuel pump running, nothing, its like there isn't a battery in it..cept there is...and my int. lights work, so...seems to me ijust have no ignition...or does the NSS actually cause the problem im having? or is it even there ne more like i said? thanks alot, any help appreciated!

Back