• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie rear locker owners

I love the one in the front of my YJ

but I'm still running the CAD so other than a slight driveline vibe it's completely invisable

I ran an automatic locker in the rear of my 5 speed xj for years. Tire wear wasn't bad, I just didn't like the handling characteristics. I'd do an auto locker with an auto trans on a dd again, but probably not with a 5-speed. Not super bad handling, but just enough to be annoying at times.

Really? I had the Peugot(speeling) 5 speed in my 87 and had the aussie and didnt feel any bad handling. I could feel the body of the jeep sorta roll a little bit everytime i shifted on the freeway but other than that nothing. I swap to an auto when my 5 speed went south and it doesnt do the body roll at all. so maybe thats what you are talking about.

Now when i first put my locker in i noticed it but now i dont until someone asks my whats wrong with my rear end.

Any automatic full-time locker in the rear will have some negative handling characteristics. Once you decide it's worth learning to drive a little bit differently to offset that, it's well worth the performance gain off-road. I've had a Lock-Right and a Detroit as full-time lockers in the rear, just follow the driving tips the other fellas gave you and you'll be fine.

I put about 100 miles in over the last few days in snow and ice. No complaints at all. More traction is better. Just ease up on the throttle there, Dale Earnhardt.

The only people I know that hate rear lockers have manual transmissions.

People bad mouth it because of snow, but you just have to be more careful. The Aussie has only made handling better in all conditions for me.

where in the valley are you at?

I need more XJs to go wheeling with! hahaha

It was noticeable, but I wouldn't call it loud.
It was great for dirt, rocks, sand and snow.
It was totally manageable on the street. I would let off, and coast around the corners. If you hammered the gas in a corner, you could easily accelerate tire wear. If you allow it to ratchet by letting off the gas around corners, there is no extra tire wear.

Dana 44. Same same. Take it easy on sharp turns. My locked XJ is better on tires than my wifes open diffed YJ.

when i installed mine, in my rear dana 44 it was on the cusp of the tightest tolerances allowed. mine ratches moderately loudly, but it has never popped or clunked

edit: accidental necro-post

Last edited:
LOL - not that necro...

i have one in my 8.25. It is one off the best things i have spent my money on! the clicking isnt that loud and you dont hear it unless you are in a parking lot turning sharp. It locks up perfectly and it has taken a beating! this is on my DD too. 100% recomended!

aussie on 8.25 here. I have a Rough Stuff diff cover and i really cant hear it that much. Everyone says they're loud...not here, NOT AT ALL. If I'm listening for it sometimes i can hear it. Anyone in the XJ cant hear it. Even if you can...BIG DEAL. The performance of a locker is FAR SUPERIOR than a little noise coming from the rear diff.

DO IT! Best $$ I've spent on my jeep. It will blow you away where you can go!

Well this thread returned from the dead! I will note that I've read more than one post from people with an Aussie or LockRight and a manual transmission that did not like that combo. Pretty much everybody with an automatic loves them though, as do I.

I've had mine in almost a year with some Michelin Long Trail blahblah street tires. I've got about 10,000 miles on everything and I haven't noticed any additional wear. I don't like mud so I can't speak for that but I've wheeled snow, sand and trails and the rear locker has been great. I've repeatedly watched similar-sized rigs with 33" MTs struggle in places I've walked through with the rear locker. To me it's the best mod you can ever put on a 4x4.

So for a DD you should go with a actuated locker instead of an automatic? I mean it makes sense but for the price of an aussie WOW. I dirve my Xj every Day and have my kids in it as well so it sounds like if your XJ is also the family grocery getter you should stay away fromt he aussie and go with somethign that you can turn on and off right?

I drive daily in my XJ with the kids/groceries, have a manual tranny and an aussie (D44 flavor) in the rear. You get used to its handling quirks (sudden engagement) and clunks, and I don't believe it to be a safety issue. I'd prefer a selectable locker, and eventually will get one, but for the price you can't beat the durability and off-road performance.

I have run Aussies in the front of 3 of my rigs, in the front when in 2 wheel drive it is open and you will not little to no tire loss. Great locker, best cheep upgrade for a stock rig hands down.

In the rear it would work the same as any posi style locker, if you want to save tires get a selectable locker.

I drive daily in my XJ with the kids/groceries, have a manual tranny and an aussie (D44 flavor) in the rear. You get used to its handling quirks (sudden engagement) and clunks, and I don't believe it to be a safety issue. I'd prefer a selectable locker, and eventually will get one, but for the price you can't beat the durability and off-road performance.

x2 on all that, the only true negative effect that bothers me is that it wears my tires funny. It wears the rear tires in the middle of the tread, you get alot more jerking around with the 5sp, and it pivots alot in sharp turns like when you are turning out into traffic, but thats a locker.

Back