• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Auminum flares?!?

Chris S

NAXJA Forum User
A shop near me could make aluminum flares for my XJ. They would look similar to TJ flares, but made to fit the XJ body. Advantages are that they would be a perfect fit, would be exactly the width I want, and would would be unique. Disadvantage is that they would not flex when banged on something, so the body would probably take the brunt of the impact.
I don't run in rocks alot so I'm not so too worried about impacts, and I figure I could make extended side bars to keep from snagging them on trees too much.

Thoughts?

BTW the shop is the one that makes JP aluminum jeep bodies and a ton of various land cruiser parts so they really know their stuff.

I guess it would depend on the thickness and the finish. Are you going to leave them bare? Are you talking about formed sheet aluminum or milled out aluminum? I think the JP bodies look cool, but I would worry about durability vs. price on the flares.

I would probably trem-clad them black to match the Jeep. easy to touch up so no worries there.
They would be bent and welded out of 3/16" aluminum. The body would crumple underneath before the flares got damaged.

Don't have a price yet, but they would be much less than Bushwackers

BTW the police in this area enforce fender laws quite strictly, so I have to do something.

Any pictures about as they sound really interesting? Get them anodized black would be the best bet.

Sounds good. So you would be the prototype tester ;)
Are they going to just make them the width you need? How much more coverage are you after?

Yes they would make them exactly the width I want. That is standard practice for all their flares.

I'm thinking 4 inches wide. I want to cover the tread (which is what I need for street legal) but leave the sidewalls outside to protect the flare a bit.

Chris S said:
I would probably trem-clad them black to match the Jeep. easy to touch up so no worries there.

You can't tremclad aluminum. You need to use a zinc-chromate based paint for it to stick. This is what the Land Rover crowd uses with their Al bodied beasties.

Must be able to get something usable in a spray bomb. Should check Canadian Tire next time I'm there.

Btw, keep us in the loop on the flares. Interested in seeing what it ends up like. If they are cheap enough they can become "red shirts" when wheeling.

r@m

Maybe I can design a mounting system using spring clips. Something that would allow easy removal before wheeling and that would be a "designed failure" if you left the flare on and rubbed a tree.

Chris S said:
Yes they would make them exactly the width I want. That is standard practice for all their flares.

I'm thinking 4 inches wide. I want to cover the tread (which is what I need for street legal) but leave the sidewalls outside to protect the flare a bit.
Remember to make the rear ones 1.5" narrower due to the body getting wider. The front half of the front flares have to be wider than the rear half due to the taper at the front as well. Hard job I think and much harder to make one for than say a TJ etc.

Back