• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

atlas 4 speed

TMR makes a pretty good atlas support ring.
Thank you I have never heard of them all definitely check them out.
here are some pics of where my shifters are located, and how I modified my floor to clock it up a bit. it only hangs down about an inch below the frame rails.

I didnt have the knob on the planetary but you can see it over by the passenger seat.

2011-09-25_18-16-20_737.jpg

I had to make a little hump for the shifter on top of the planetary. oh and make sure you locktite the bolt that holds the cable to the little arm on it, cause mine fell out and I had to cut it open again to get to it.

2011-09-25_16-26-05_938.jpg

heres where I cut the floor up to make some more room

2011-09-08_17-11-40_506.jpg

I ran the cable for the shifter through a small hole in the floor, and put a piece of garden hose on it to protect it from any sharp edges.

2011-09-17_18-48-09_281.jpg

It went pretty well considering I had never welded before. but if I was to do it again I would cut the whole tranny tunnel out and make it a removable panel.

I mostly use 3:1 but 8:1 is nice on real technical stuff. and its awesome that it will pull through light breaking in 8:1 1st, makes roll back on take off nonexistent.

if I had an auto I doubt I would have spent the money on this, but it seems you know what you want to do with it so good luck, and it really is an awesome piece of kit.
This is my next battle I got the case in. I used the bfh method on the floor worked perfect. The rustys cross member is 1inch lower than stock so it fit nicely. Tonight I welded the ruff stuff 2 plus perches on my drive shafts are the same length front and rear. Bonus no drive line shop to add to the cost of this badass t case. I can't wait to see how this thing changes my xj

Thank you all for your replys.

I have the wide ratio Atlas 4 with AW4 in my XJ, and I'm really pleased with the results. I like 1:1, 2.72, and I like 3.8, so I really had to go 4 speed to get all those. I really don't intend to use the 10.whatever, but the option is nice. Overall, the 4 speed isn't all that much longer than a 231, but it is wider and taller. The floor needed some cutting to get it clocked pretty flat, and you really need an extra mount, I went with the TMR. Mine also needed to be cut on the passenger side to clear the High Angle driveline brake. I also went with their 1350 CVs to and keep the driveshafts in one piece.

It's a little cramped inside, but really only the rear lever needs to be slightly straightened out and it will be perfect.

ajyzedag.jpg

Last edited:
BUMP:

Didnt want to start a new thread, as Some of my questions have been answered here..

I have a v8 ZJ, I'm in the middle of doing 06 superduty axles, 5.38s and Detroits..

I've decided an atlas 4 speed is for me, as I already have chain problems often with the 231

At first it seemed like a no brainer to get the 11.70:1 setup, But I started thinking about what Goatman stated here

VVV

Now, I will tell you that for my rock buggy I want an Atlas 4 speed, but for a different reason. I want the 2-1 ratio in the gears and the normal 2.72-1 ratio in the planetary. The reason is that I would use the 2-1 as a high range and never use 1-1, but I'd have to regear to 4.56. With 40" sticky tires I can't go fast enough to use most of 3rd and any of 4th in high range, but in 2-1 I could use all 4 gears and have much better acceleration, throttle response and gear choices for going fast through the desert. Some of the Ultra4 drivers use 2-1 for the entire King of the Hammers race.

And I love the Idea of having 2.0:1 I would benefit greatly in the sand (witch is why I'm going coilover anyway) and I think 5.88:1 with 5.38s and 37s will be awesome in the rocks

Thoughts? Im so confused!

in 1:1, i can use all of 3rd and not really any of 4th or 5th (ax-15). I think if 3rd was a little longer, i'd be much better off. I'm on 1 tons, 37's, 5.38's. and have basically a 4 speed transfer case since i have a doubler and rubicon 241or. My tcase ratios are 1:1, 2.72:1, 4:1, and 10.88:1. I like the ratios, but i just wish i had 4.88's or something instead of the 5.38's.

BUMP:

Didnt want to start a new thread, as Some of my questions have been answered here..

I have a v8 ZJ, I'm in the middle of doing 06 superduty axles, 5.38s and Detroits..

I've decided an atlas 4 speed is for me, as I already have chain problems often with the 231

At first it seemed like a no brainer to get the 11.70:1 setup, But I started thinking about what Goatman stated here

VVV

And I love the Idea of having 2.0:1 I would benefit greatly in the sand (witch is why I'm going coilover anyway) and I think 5.88:1 with 5.38s and 37s will be awesome in the rocks

Thoughts? Im so confused!
Auto or manual?

Auto (46re)

Well, upon further reading It sounds like 4.88s might be a better setup, Decent for street driving, Yet toss it into 2.0:1 rwd, And I think it would kick ass in the dunes..

Errr. but then I ask, whats the difference between 2.0:1 and 2.72:1 What really am I gaining?

Maybe I'm missing a chapter of tech in this whole world of T-case tech..

Last edited:
Auto (46re)

Well, upon further reading It sounds like 4.88s might be a better setup, Decent for street driving, Yet toss it into 2.0:1 rwd, And I think it would kick ass in the dunes..

Errr. but then I ask, whats the difference between 2.0:1 and 2.72:1 What really am I gaining?

Maybe I'm missing a chapter of tech in this whole world of T-case tech..

There's not much of a difference. But its more of a difference that the 2.72 and 3.0 I had the 3.0 because I didn't want to go any lower than 8 for low low. If I was to do it again. I'd go with higher gears in the axle and maybe more spread in the t case. 2.7 4 ect.

Now my thinking is 4.88s with 37s, The 2.72:1 would be good in the sand (especially 2low), 4.3:1 would be a great "Average crawl ratio" needed.. but 11.70:1 would probably be awesome when the snow gets ridiculous, (and showing off on an RTI ramp..haha)

^ someday, when I get one, that is the gearing I want! Just like I said the other day, you'd have the 2.7 for sand etc and its the same as 'factory low range' which is nice in a few ways, including between obstacles, and rolling with us stock guys :)
Then you've got your 4.x:1 which is perfect for most technical wheeling, and the 10/11:1 (whatever it is) for crazy stuff, snow breaking etc....

That's what I would do (with 4.88's for streetability)

I have been leaning toward a 2,2.7,5.4 setup. Sometimes I find 2.7 to low, dirt roads and sand. And sometimes to high, in the bigger rocks.

I figer I will use 2.7 in moderate to harder stuff and 5.4 when it gets rough. I don't see me ever jumping around between 2 and 2.7. I'll let you know how it goes if I ever get this dream box and another jeep to put it in.

I have one! I went with the standard shifters and put the planetary shifter right in front of the twin sticks. I have the 2.72/3.8/10.34 one, but may have done the 4.3 if it were available at the time.

I did not take pics of the install, but it was pretty painless. The only adjustments were cutting the floor board for the shifters and hammering the tunnel out a little wider where one of the upper corners was contacting. It only needed to move about an inch.

I have a manual and absolutely love it. I thought the 10.34 would be practically novelty, but I use it quite often. Most notably for mounting large obstacles where momentum is not a factor, and for difficult downhill stuff. Honestly, if I had an auto, I doubt I would have done it. It doesn't seem like it would have been as beneficial, but I could be wrong.

I'll post a pic of the sticks as soon as I get a chance.

Yeah, I know I'm dredging up old info but just now considering the Atlas 4-spd. Hadn't even known about it til I did a search for Atlas here.

99 XJ
AW4/NP231
4.56 ARBs (Eric's old diffs)
Dana 30/C8.25
33 x 10.5
MetalCloak 4.5" front
IRO Rear.

Might go to 35s if I get the Atlas.
Mostly trail, some steep, a bit of rocks and might chain up in the snow. Might have to do Moab and/or Rubicon if I get the Atlas dialed in.

Same question: which 4spd ratio to get? 3.8, 4.5, etc.

I'll keep reading but would like to here long term opinions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
From Atlas (I'm not entirely clear on what he's saying).

"If you're seriously looking to go to 35s down the road I would recommend the 3.8:1 ratio due to needing to regear axles for streetability which will make up that little bit of gearing availability from our Atlas. If the 35s are an after thought then I would go with the 4.3 to get a solid 1st gear crawl ratio. the 4.3 will be completely fine with 35 as well but could be too slow for your liking or may be just right, it's 100% a preference as the 3.8 is fairly close for gear reduction. The trans tunnel modifications can be found in our instruction sheet for part number 303007L."

I will say this. I friggin love my 4 speed. But i have a manual. It is a necessity imo for a manual trans. Imo it would be hard for me to justify the price when the stock tcase with a 2low kit will get you 90 percent and 2.72 with an auto is fine. I would be looking at a torque converter to customize offroad performance.

From Atlas (I'm not entirely clear on what he's saying).

"If you're seriously looking to go to 35s down the road I would recommend the 3.8:1 ratio due to needing to regear axles for streetability which will make up that little bit of gearing availability from our Atlas. If the 35s are an after thought then I would go with the 4.3 to get a solid 1st gear crawl ratio. the 4.3 will be completely fine with 35 as well but could be too slow for your liking or may be just right, it's 100% a preference as the 3.8 is fairly close for gear reduction. The trans tunnel modifications can be found in our instruction sheet for part number 303007L."

He is saying if you’re currently on 35s and geared for them properly go 3.8:1.
If you’re just thinking about 35s and hearing go 4.3:1. You might not like 35s and 4.3:1

I will say this. I friggin love my 4 speed. But i have a manual. It is a necessity imo for a manual trans. Imo it would be hard for me to justify the price when the stock tcase with a 2low kit will get you 90 percent and 2.72 with an auto is fine. I would be looking at a torque converter to customize offroad performance.

If you want to play in the big rocks with big tires, you need front dig. if you’re not going to put it in front-only and dig around something? You probably may as well only have a 231 and 2-low.

Green junk was 4.88s, 4.3 atlas, auto, 35s until it’s last year or so and I thought it was great. #StellaFTH4 has the same everything with 37s and it is fine.

Also, with the regular atlas, the front driveshaft might get a little short. Lots of people do it just fine but the 4-speed will have closer to a stock length driveshaft and lesser driveline angles.

Josh is still silly for getting a 4-speed with only 5.44 low-low :flipoff2:

Good stuff ya'll (I miss a "Like" button). I'll look into the 2-low kit for the 231 and take it from there.

Yeah, running 231 (2.72) on 33s and 4.56 w/AW4. Not looking at Rubicon/Moab style rocks but maybe once each eventually. 35s are always on my mind. Gobs of street torque with my current setup.

Last edited:
35s 4.10s and stock tc with 2 low I love it... sluggish on the streets, but east tn muddy rocks require a little more wheel speed which I can achieve with this combo... 2 low is a must with my auto front locker also....

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Back