• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas 2: 3.0:1 or 3.8:1

If you were adding more drivetrain parts, like another case, i could see a power loss. Really the only thing youre losing is wheel speed. Id say the power(torque) even goes up since it becomes easier and easier to brake parts farther down the drivetrain as you go lower and lower with gearing because of the torque multiplication

what this guy said. you don't increase parasitic loss with increased gearing. you might increase it by adding gearsets, but not from changing ratios.

I ordered the 3.8. I'll let y'all know how it works for me when I get it in. I figure if I want it even lower, I can just find a 4.3:1 1st gear/countershaft for the tranny. Best of both worlds, right?

I ordered my 4 speed 12 days ago..

I wonder who will get theirs first?

Last edited:
I hate both of you.... I can't wait to join the atlas club...

the 1310 series cardans are not your problem I would seriously look into finding the root issue first . my 1310 series cardans F/R hold up just fine ...but then again my stoch geared 231 takes my 40+ tired XJ over 9-9+ rated colorado trails just fine also . An Atlas is a great T-case ,but I think many put the cart before the horse buying them when they do not need them and could put mod money other places first ...A nice belly skid is one of those places as not having skid that protects your t-case will destroy an Atlas just like a 231 .

I'm running a 5.0 atlas with my ax-15, 5.13 r&p , and 37" stickeys and I think it's just about perfect ratio wise.

do you like just having the 5:1? or do you wish you had a lower ratio too?

nevermind. just looked and in 2nd you're pretty close to the factory low range speed.

Last edited:
i tripped over my spare atlas yesterday and almost spilled my beer.

the spare is 3.8:1, keeping in spirit with the thread.

1-tonxj, The problem I had when I broke the front the last time was a big hill climb where my front axle started hopping. I'm running a homebrew clayton radius/y-link style suspension. I think the bushings in the upper arms had a bit too much play in them. I replaced the rubber bushings with Johnny Joints that mount into the axle. I think a limit strap may also help with the axle hop.

Here's the vid.
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=482729561868663&pnref=story

The twisted splines in the rear driveshaft, I don't know. Just a dose of a heavy right foot I guess. The guy at the driveline shop asked if I was running a big V8. He was pretty surprised when I told him it was a stock 4.0 in an XJ.

Back