• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

As soon as I get the Jeep out of the water what do I need to do?

Something not mention yet that you may want to do is check the drums. The water didn't look that dirty, but any mud in the drum brakes will eat the pads in a hurry. Just an idea.

Awesome!
Impressed you had the presense of mind to shut her down.

:wave:

HaZakated, Thanks for all the advise.

junkxj said:
Something not mention yet that you may want to do is check the drums. The water didn't look that dirty, but any mud in the drum brakes will eat the pads in a hurry. Just an idea.

May need to look at the brakes. there's about 1/4 inch of slit on the seats and 1/2 on the floors. But might have just came from inside the XJ :laugh3: Cleaning it has never been a priority.

DaffyXJ said:
Awesome!
Impressed you had the presense of mind to shut her down.

:wave:

Thanks, I think. I knew I was in trouble when I hit the other side and there was a shelf that had to be climbed to get out. a slow tapper maybe could have kept driving?

Daryl

I stuck my xj and an old chevy in mud holes full of water. Neither hole had water high enough to get into the intake. After I got them out I started them up and pulled water through the exauast. Has this happened to anyone else? It ruined both motors, most recently in my xj. My new motor has only 100 miles on it and I won't have that prob again. Check out the "back wheel wells" thread mine is the red xj. Its a toy.

Big Red said:
I blew the tranny in my 98 ZJ' last year getting stuck like you. I didn't have any tools with me and it was Memorial Day weekend and I was far from home. I also blew the motor in my 91' YJ in deep water. Water is very bad for parts. I have heard of taking out your spark plugs and shooting the water out of the motor. Just check all your fluids and stuff very good. My carpet was fine once it dried, it was clean water.

Troy

how many vehicles have you killed or are on your way to killing?

you have mentioned a CJ on 37's, now a dead YJ, and a dead ZJ, and you're working on killing your XJ?

thats a lot of jeep....

How come you did not sit in it to steer her out, I mean you obviosly had the right shorts on, or do you wear those all the time? lol Great pics!!!

lol... i bet that drink in the console was cold:pPP

afd516 said:
How come you did not sit in it to steer her out, I mean you obviosly had the right shorts on, or do you wear those all the time? lol Great pics!!!
I didn't want to get muddy, wet is one thing, muddy is another.

Nope, I grabbed those special for the extraction.

Purple said:
lol... i bet that drink in the console was cold:pPP
You'll notice in the photos following the open door pic, that the drink moved to the top of the Jeep (higher ground?).

All in all it was fun, maybe not so much that I'll try it again. The unfun part is yet to come (clean up).

Daryl

XJ_ranger said:
how many vehicles have you killed or are on your way to killing?

you have mentioned a CJ on 37's, now a dead YJ, and a dead ZJ, and you're working on killing your XJ?

thats a lot of jeep....

I killed my YJ's motor 5 years ago at the Badlands in Indiana when I got stuck like the XJ in this thread, I hydrolocked the motor, it has sucky 3.07 gears, open diffs and 33" procomp mt's. I blew my tranny in my jeep last year, 3/31/04 around Fort Bragg, CA in the Eel river while trying too many crossings and got stuck bad in sand/silty bottom. Both Jeeps were no where close to as built as my XJ or CJ7. Water still scares me alot. I cring on the 1st river crossing on Fordyce that easily swallows 37" tires. It is very deep, just keep moving and get through it and go at the right pace to get the bow action in front of your Jeep.

Troy

XJ_ranger said:
after this my carpet is still ok... granted my jeep wasnt in long enough to make a post on NAXJA and then get back to it...

not trying to be a jerk on my 3rd post, but if somebody tried to extract my Jeep like that I definitely wouldn't be hugging them! lol
and JEONLYEP, nice rig. . . even nicer shorts

Back