• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Area around Walter's Camp S. of Blythe

Boudroux

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
By chance any of you familiar with this area? It is on the lower Colorado River, south of Blythe 30-40 miles off the 78.

I've been doing some desert coyote hunting around there and looking at the maps there is a massive chunk of BLM land between the River around Walter's Camp and the 78 that looks promising for Jeeping/Dirtbiking. Google kind of chokes when trying searches for this.

I've been hunting out of my full size truck so I've not explored around much.

Have not been to Walter's Camp, but there is a lot of BLM land surrounding the Picacho State Recreation Area about 45 min north of Yuma as well. You can access the land from the 8 or the 78. There are a bunch of jeep trails and stuff suitable for full sized trucks on the public land part and great fishing along the river in the state park. I think the BLM land is called Indian Pass.

Last edited:
Mr Overkill's family owns a cabin out that way. I stayed out there with him like 7 years ago and did some wheeling, nothing hardcore but pretty country.

I heard most of that BLM land was shut down though?

I've only been S. of Walter's once... there are several trails off Hwy. 78 that work their way to the river... I think if you had a smaller rig you could make your way to Draper's Wash & Draper's cabin (google it).
A friend took his full size Dodge 2500 shortbed through Draper heading E. towards the river from 78, there is a choke where a large boulder is burred in the narrow part of the wash... no issue for an XJ, but i was impressed he squeezed the full size truck through there...
Google Earth shows trails... the bike wouldn't be an issue. as far as "legal" I haven't kept up with the area.
There looks to be some cool trail (exploring/camping S. of Milpitas Wash between 78 & the river...

Curt

Looking at my hunting maps software there is a Wilderness area E of the 78 and south of Walters camp so no vehicles there, another wilderness area just W of the 78 as well as the Chocolate Mtns bombing range but man is there just a ton of BLM desert out there to explore.

I'm just going to have to take the bike or jeep and see what is out there. I do know there is a shit pot of coyotes out there.

There has to be some good jeeping out there.

Back