• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN Header Photos

Interesting claim on the results.

I didn't notice any better throttle response, no cooler underhood temps, and no more "rumble" than stock.

Not trying to disprove your claims, just interesting that they differ so widely. I also did a 99+ intake at the same time on mine.

Very interesting differences indeed.
Some more of my background may help:

I was getting pretty low numbers for fuel economy before this.
12-15 mpg was average, so anything above that is an improvement for me.
I ran the cracked stock header for a long time, and my crack was quite severe.
This large crack must have contributed to the hot underhood temps and sounds.
(the temperatures are now around 5 to 10 degrees cooler)
The stock header sounded horrible due to such a large crack, like a tractor.
So, now it sounds much better; it purrs to life instead of grumbling when I start it up.

IIRC, the brass is a little more tolerant of the heat and expansion- it's been discussed in at least one of the threads. You could have hit a Fastenall or such, but I found a Dorman manifold hardware kit for less than $10 at the parts store.

edit- Here's a link, same thing is mentioned a few times in various threads.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=678960&postcount=6

I believe the Dorman pn is 03408. I bought two, as it didn't seem to have enough pieces, but I was drinking the entire time during my swap.

Last edited:
Just ordered two sets on ebay. It's funny, in the ebay add the studs look brass. But for the part number on Summitracing they look steel.

I know what contributed to my increased throttle response and improved mileage.
I adjusted the throttle kick down cable and erased my ECU memory.
These two things must have made all the difference in the world.

I know what contributed to my increased throttle response and improved mileage.
I adjusted the throttle kick down cable and erased my ECU memory.
These two things must have made all the difference in the world.

I'm sure a cracked exhaust manifold will suck power, but I too was surprised to hear of your improvements. Not that I am dissapointed with the APN but I was hoping for more than what I got.

At the time I bought it it was the cheapest alternative around. None of those flex headers were out yet. I believe I paid $150 shipped for header...can't 100% remember.

I didn't wait long after my stock header cracked to replace it with an APN, hence I knew what a stock XJ header sounded like/felt like as far as response power.

APN didn't change anything much. I was just glad to not have the annoying tick there.

Back