• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Apexi SAFC 2 Write Up!!!

I opened up the manual to double check the wiring. 91 and later 4 and 6 cylinder engines all use the same wiring. However, I can't find this Gry/Lt Green for the RPM signal in the book for ANY of the engines listed for ANY year/model/engine of Cherokee.
There isn't a Gry/Lt Green wire ANYWHERE for the ECU/Starting and Ignition systems/Gauge Clusters in the Haynes Manual whatsover. How did you find this? There's not even an RPM/Tachometer listing for our year Jeep (91 and later). I myself have a '98, but according to Haynes everything '91 and later is all the same. I know I have a Tach' in my jeep... but it's not listed on the wiring diagram in the book at all...

Coffee Commando~

hi there

can you help me installing Apexi SAFC2 on my 1996 OBD2 Cherokee

i need the wire up or pinouts if you have them

FYI:

I have a 1998 and my wiring coloring/numbering is different. Here is what it is for a '98:

Apexi What it is Jeep ECU
Red Power ---- Blue w/ White tracer
Green RPM Signal ---- Grey w/ Black tracer
Gray Throttle Signal ---- Orange w/Dark Blue tracer (stayed the same)
Brown Ground ---- Black w/Tan tracer (stayed the same)
Black Ground Pin ---- Black w/Tan tracer (stayed the same)
Yellow MAP output (into ECU) ---- Dark green w/Red tracer (stayed)
White MAP input (into sensor) ---- Dark green w/Red tracer (stayed)

So if your wiring is the same color scheme as the 98, you have the above. I don't have my Haynes right now otherwise I would state what this matches to.

WP~

APEXI II Follow-Up Write-Up

Dear SAFCII Seekers,

I have had one for a few years now and am just now about to hook it up. I found the manual online here http://www.scribd.com/doc/21121929/apexi-safc-ii-instruction-manual . I've searched for a while trying to find one in english. Doesn't seem to be supported by the APEXI manufacturer's web site anymore.

I am also hooking up a wideband 02 sensor. I'm going to further add to this article with complete pictures of the initial setup. There are some important things that will not let you get off the ground at all without "reading the manual" for further instructions, such as what type of sensor, and whether or not our throttles are the up-arrow/* */down-arrow. This manual may not be available in the near future.

I also plan to program it based off of throttle position vice the Ne points (the 400 increments that MrShoeBoy used) and produce my results in regard to performance and actual live 02 readings vs. the Ne point system that was already written up. In the end I will not have a Dyno since I have the 02. For the cost of the Dyno I can switch around my tune at any time I see fit, and even store different setups and load them at will. I've disconnected the original 02 sensor and wired the narrow-band signal (provided with the Innovate XD-16 I have) to the ECU so it still gets a signal for the 02 original 02. The wideband signal will be connected to the AFR guage cluster I have so I can see what it sits at and the reliablility of it at all times.

One thing I will say is that the grounding is VERY important for getting a reliable signal.

Wayne P.~

And you can't program it by TPS voltage.

True. I misunderstood the "..corrections can be made based off of throttle opening amounts." portion.

I will provide stats on all the additional add-ons I have on my stroker. Then after I get it just how I want it for maximum fuel efficiency I will post all of my results, settings, aftermarket add on, and the outcome (to include gas mileage).

True. I misunderstood the "..corrections can be made based off of throttle opening amounts." portion.

The Apexi has two curves bases on RPM to change. One for hi throttle and lo throttle. You can set when it will switch from lo to hi curves using the "throttle" setting. Which are percentages of throttle opening based on the TPS sensor.

Just to answer this question before it comes up. You can also source a SAFC I and it will work just the same but with only one fuel table. Its a simple device and only interrupts the MAFS signal to adjust the fuel. On the SAFC II you have some extended capabilities with 2 maps over just 1 and a decel function that will help with people running FI setups with a bypass release to atmosphere. Here is a picture of the SAFC I I used on my boosted 240sx.

Good write up, I was wondering when the Jeep community would find these; lol.
KA-Tprogressdayone002.jpg

Talyn? Are you scrolling down? It says SAFC in plain English and all... but everything is in little black circles after that. It even asks for you to download a language pack for IE to display the little foreign characters.

... or do you have some sort of MacGyver'ed IE that converts language packs to standard English?

Looks like English to me. Here is a snippet from the link pasted above. Do you not have Adobe Reader installed on your PC? Maybe you need to check your Adobe settings?

"Turn the rotary switch counterclockwise or clockwise
When the rotary switch is turned clockwise, the numeric value shifts in the
positive direction or the cursor moves upward.
When the rotary switch is turned counterclockwise, the numeric value shifts in
the negative direction and the cursor moves downward. The upper/lower part
of the center switch has the same function as the rotary switch"

"What have you (that have used the SAFC) used for your "In/Out" setting."

WHAT have you used for the setting, not HOW DO YOU ADJUST it. I would never have made it to selecting the sensor number if I didn't know how to make adjustments. You have one knob that circles in two directions and a joystick that moves in 4. I don't need instructions on how to operate it.

I've never been part of pirate 4x4 but I sense that more and more smartassery on here than is necessary. Are they jumping ship to here or what. ?

... or do you have some sort of MacGyver'ed IE that converts language packs to standard English?
I can read the entire manual in English using Adobe Acrobat just fine. Problem is on your end.
I have a question. What have you (that have used the SAFC) used for your "In/Out" setting? I don't understand the acronyms in the manual.
From previous post in this thread:
Sensor type is Pressure, with 01 in and 01 out (at least on my 2000). Don't recall if its up or down arrow. I want to say down. But its easy enough to figure out.
I've never been part of pirate 4x4 but I sense that more and more smartassery on here than is necessary. Are they jumping ship to here or what. ?
As I said above, the problem is on your end.

Last edited:
So.... 5 in 5 out? Seems like 2 in and out is for MAF, while 2 in and 5 out is for a MAF ECU rigged for a MAP. I was looking around earlier on the internet and found that other Jap-car-owners liked to switch from MAF to MAP for better performance and this came into play. Seems to be fairly common which might be why the book mentions those 3 different scenarios.

I guess I'll hook up the wideband tomorrow and see what different results I get with each since no one else has any useful input of their own.

Back