• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone work in the natural gas industry?

The large utilities in CA are all privately owned. SDG&E, SCE, SoCalGas and PG&E.

None of those are part of PERS.

There are many smaller utilities that are publicly owned like LADWP... I don't know about their pension plans.

Lurch, you can PM me if you want. I've been in the utilities industry for years, and have been working for SoCalGas for the last 2. I'm in finance, so I don't know really anything about vehicle conversion or home CNG filling stations, but I know a bit about the industry in general... and a lot about utility finance if that interests you at all.

:)

Cool, thanks for all of the insight guys. There are some interesting looking project management jobs on the SoCalGas website, I'm a PM in the civil engineering/construction industry now so that might not be too far of a jump.

While the infrastructure isn't there yet for CNG like it is for other fuels, I think it could be the next step as we keep getting hammered on for emissions from the state and the feds.

I am currently in the Natural Gas industry. For the past 37 years, I have witnessed, tasted, created, and smelled it all.

On the average 1 person in 7 will expend about a liter of intestinal gas per day. Since natural gas in the US is sold by the cubic foot, for comparison, we need to convert the output of intestinal gas to cubic feet. Using the assumption that 1/7 of the population expels 1 liter of intestinal gas per day that would equal about 1.5 million cubic feet of gas per day, or 550 million cubic feet per year.

The natural gas provided by The Gas Company has no odor when extracted from the gas wells. They have to spend money to add a smell.

On the other hand, intestinal gas is usually quite rich in sulfur dioxide. Parts of the population generate more gas than others. The local bars and retirement centers are two prime candidates for gas collection points. To increase the collected volume make sure they serve large quantities of beer, eggs, onions, and beans.

Once the collection equipment is in place there will be no expense. No wells to sink, no speculation wells that have no gas. Just meter your collection into the Gas Company's lines at the various locations, and bill the Gas Company.
Eat my air poop.

Winning :roflmao:

Back