• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone near

That's gonna create a nasty vibration as well. Am I missing somewhere that he gets vibes at 55 and higher or something to that effect??? Otherwise, any DS issue will result in vibrations, whether it's bent, out of balance, bad CV, bad U-joint, loose mounting bolts, etc. Once that bad boy stars spinning at a few thousand RPMs, you're gonna know. =)

while i too think it's his rear d/s ujoint, i had the same ujoint going BAD for 2-3 weeks (i was young, and waiting to do a sye/aftermarket d/s, and daily drove it like this for those 2-3 weeks, it was BAD).
i could drive it up to 70'ish, and only had vibes on decel... only when i let off the gas quickly, like if was accelerating and someone merged into my lane ahead of me.

when i pulled it for install of the sye, i almost vomited knowing i'd been driving on that.

i could drive it up to 70'ish, and only had vibes on decel...

But did your u-joint clunk while turning or accelerating uphill? Just doesn't sound u-joint related to me...sure seems like if your u-joint was bad enough to clunk around, you'd know about it.

And while it's redundant, it seems like 8 times out of 10, clunks while turning or accelerating/decelerating turn out to be trackbar. And it just seems easier to put a wrench on those two bolts before crawling up under the truck.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying don't check. =) But he can pop the front driveshaft off and drive and see if it happens. If it doesn't, problem is front DS. If it doesn't fix it, put the front driveshaft back on, remove the rear, shove a rag up in there to stop leakage, pop it in 4wd and try again....both issues occur at low speed, so no real concerns. Again, if the problem goes away, it's in the rear DS...if it doesn't, look elsewhere.

my ujoint problem caused a lot of problems, but you're right, not really while turning.

if it's the tracbar like sandiegoxj thinks, have someone turn the wheel lock to lock with the engine running but parked. sit under the front end and you'll see the trackbar (or even the bracket) jerk around.

Sounds similar to what I have going right now. Upper control arm bushings are shot.

Back