• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone know anything about a cummins?

xj_maniac_newb

NAXJA Forum User
Alright. So im pretty savvy with most vehicles, but know nothing of the common problems a diesel has. So heres the dilemma. My brother once had a 98? (i think) 24 valve cummins, which had a few issues.

Long story short, he traded this:

59377-aloha-big-azz-cummins-dually.jpg

For this:

548029_414462645232209_1183357692_n.jpg

Specs: 1996 CAMARO Z28,6SPEED,LT1 383 STROKER(EAGLE),BIG CAM, HEADMAN CERAMIC COATED LONG TUBE HEADERS,K&N COLD AIR INTAKE,MSD WIRES AND BOX W/REV CONTROL,LAUNCHBARS,SUBFRAME CONNECTORS,AIR BAGS,LOWERING SPRINGS,Z06 VETTE WHEELS AND M/T ET SLICKS GOES TOO,CUTOUTS,SLP EXAUST,HURST SHORT THROW SHIFTER ECT...ECT...

(he typed it on his for sale ad, so dont blame me for the caps)

Now its been about 6 months or so.. and the guy wants his car back. My brother has been wanting to sell the car for about a month or so now, just too inconvenient to drive as a DD.. He says he actually wouldnt mind having his truck back.

And this is where the actual question begins. The truck has had a brand new turbo, fuel pump, and some other things done.. However the truck has no power at all. Put a trailer behind it and the thing will barely pull it and itself up a hill. What could this be? Truck also goes in and out of gear from time to time.. Idles great, no white or black.
Any help would be appreciated.

When you say it has a new fuel pump, do you mean the mechanical injection pump? Or the transfer pump that moves fuel from the tank to the injector pump?

Does the new owner have any training in mechanical injection pumps? If not, that would be my first guess as to why it wont make power.

You already checked the basics, like the fuel filter correct?

The in and out of gear issues and lack of power sounds like torque convertor and trans issues.

Could also be a bad turbo. Bad fuel pressure. There really isn't a lot to "go wrong".

If its a 24V, its got the electronis VP44 injection pump, 12v got the mechanical P7100 pumps. Both have a lift pump that supplies the injection pump. The lift pump can be refered to as the transfer pump or fuel pump sometimes. If it had a new turbo put on, I'd go thru all the connections to make sure they're sealed. Sounds like it might have a boost leak, that would make it gutless.

Truck had the power issue before the turbo was replaced, oil leaked out of the old turbo and killed it.. New turbo was installed correctly. Fuel filter has also been replaced. There was a small exhaust leak at one time from the manifold, however it was fixed.. Turbo seems to spool up just fine as well.

The turbo could spool up just fine but is it creating boost? If it is creating boost (checked with a gauge) does it have a intercooler and if so is it cracked any where,leaking, cracked hoses? Is the boost lost thru the waste gate due to faulty and stuck open? Fuel pressure? If trans going in and out it may not necks. be bad could be bad signals from computer due to motor not performing to peak level!

even more awesome to outrun any car you pull up beside with your cummins & with the right mods yours will kick ass.

Back