• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone ever use this radiator set up?? Looks great

Get either the Champion 2 row or American Eagle 3 row all aluminum radiator from Champion.com. Both will run you cheaper than the CSF and they are fully welded aluminum. I just replaced a CSF 3 row with a Champion 2 row and the Champion's 2 row core was just as wide as the CSF 3 row core so the Champion can cool just as well if not better than the CSF since the surface area of the rows is the same despite the number of rows. The AE is even wider and will cool far better than the CSF and still better than the Champion 2 row. To top it off both the Champion and the AE can be had for less than $200 shipped to your door!

Anyone have trouble fitting the dirtbound system and a 3 row cfs radiator since the 3-row is wider.

The 3 core is thicker yes, but it does not go beyond the radiator support and that is what the fan kit is designed to mount to.

Westcoastdan, your fan is on its way.

I just finished installing the dirtbound triple fan kit and the adjustable controller he once offered.

Installation was actually pretty easy. You have to cut the radiator support to fit the kit. I did not replace the radiator when I did the upgrade I felt no need to. I had to massage the AC lines for a little clearance but other than that no problems. I only installed the fans with 4 self tappers and it is not going any where.

These fans pull a ton of air. I am more than happy with this set up I will take some pictures if you guys want tomorrow.

Pictures?

So I drove my junk to sedona arizona today in 107* temps on the freeway averaging about 75 mph. It got very hot, right in the red zone but never boiled out and I didn't have to stop. I am a little disappointed it got so hot. It makes me wonder if there's any truth to the notion that the fluid can flow through the radiator too fast and not have time to cool completely because it only got really hot at higher rpm's. I think I might try to find an underdriven water pump pulley and see how that works out.

I would LOVE to get an electric water pump with an adjustable speed controller, bypass the stock water pump, install temp probes in the inlet and outlet of the radiator, let the 4.0 idle and just play with the pump speed until I've found the biggest temp difference between the two probes. Take note of the speed of the pump then measure its GPH and use that as a goal to set the mechanical pump at or even better yet just replace the mechanical pump with an electric one set to the same GPH. I think that there's a lot of improvement to be made in the cooling system just in the pump speed alone.

Someone do this, now.

So I drove my junk to sedona arizona today in 107* temps on the freeway averaging about 75 mph. It got very hot, right in the red zone but never boiled out and I didn't have to stop. I am a little disappointed it got so hot. It makes me wonder if there's any truth to the notion that the fluid can flow through the radiator too fast and not have time to cool completely because it only got really hot at higher rpm's. I think I might try to find an underdriven water pump pulley and see how that works out.

Maybe the radiator hose is being sucked closed and not allowing coolant to flow properly. My csf with the dirtbound kit is killer. No overheating at all. Runs 210 all the time.

I think I might try to find an underdriven water pump pulley and see how that works out.

So if you under drive your water pump, would that effect other pulleys? Would you have to increase a pulley else where? For example when I installed a underdrive kit for my 04 gmc Sonoma. ( Jet pulleys ) The crank pulley was half the size of OEM and the alternator was pulleys was about 5% larger. I gain a lot of horsepower at mid-range but at idle my stock charging system could barley keep up, it would drop from 14 volts to less than 9 volts. On Jeep isn't the opposite effect you want? Since a lot of off roading is done at low rpms?
Let me know what you find, I am interested what is out there for jeeps. I am going to upgrade my alternator to a 136amp here soon along with the water pump, csf 3 row radiator and dirtbound fans. ( The reason for the subscription to this thread )

You can do a restricter in the upper hose, go jeep site has info.

You can do a restricter in the upper hose, go jeep site has info.

I have considered that. We'll see which option becomes easier sooner.
About the previous post, the underdrive pulley would only effect the water pump but it will take up slack in the belt. I may have to use a longer belt.

Pictures?

Here you go...

5.jpg

4-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

I have considered that. We'll see which option becomes easier sooner.
About the previous post, the underdrive pulley would only effect the water pump but it will take up slack in the belt. I may have to use a longer belt.

Yeah let me know what you find out for the pulley.. Is there any junk yard vehicles that could be used?

Yeah let me know what you find out for the pulley.. Is there any junk yard vehicles that could be used?

Got to looking under the hood today and realized I can't do an under drive pulley on the water pump because its too close to the crank pulley. Sooooo..... it looks like I'm gonna experiment with restrictors.

Got to looking under the hood today and realized I can't do an under drive pulley on the water pump because its too close to the crank pulley. Sooooo..... it looks like I'm gonna experiment with restrictors.

Keep in mind when I installed underdrive system my Somona the crank pulley was half the size of oem.
I did a little research and nobody makes an underdrive system for the jeep. I also read on another form that it is not recommended for the jeep. (5-90) Posted a reply on someone asking about underdrive pulleys.

What about a smaller pulley? Would a smaller puller allow it to spin faster? Is that what we are after?

Back