• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone done a Ford 8.8 install?

xjjeepcjs

NAXJA Forum User
This has been a popular mod in my jeep club here in Omaha. I am planning on buying one not used by a club member. They use 8.8 ford rearends off of Explorers with disc brakes. I forgot the years as I am writing this, but the are from late 90's models. No one in the club has done it to an XJ, only TJ's and YJ's that I have heard of.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has done this mod to and XJ? I know it is not hardcore like a 9" or dana 60, but it is better than a d44. Any info is appreciated.

97+ have disk brakes. and ive done it to mine, and its been great. im running it with 3:55s on 35s, and been pretty hard on it with a locker and nothing has broken yet. when i regear to 5:13 over christmas break im going to 37s, and im still not really worried about it. it stops better, and is a little stronger then the 44. and can be beefed up considerably with 33 spline shafts

wish..
you said it stops better. Are you using the stock proportioning valve from the xj or did you change it out?

I'm in the middle of my 8.8 install right now. Would have been done if I didn't have a broken leaf spring and a broken front spring bolt.

Thanks
bz

As far as the disc prop valve I am still running an XJ valve with my rear disk. Been two years no problems and great pedal feel. 8.8 into an XJ is easy and cheap. May need wheel spacers cuz the rear axle is a touch narrower.

it is about an inch and 3/4 narrower. I have had mine done for about 2 years with a locker and 33 inch tires and have had no problems .I think it is a 1995 and up that has the disk brakes

Last edited:
I have always used the stock prop valve with no problems. On a 88, 95, and 98 if it matters. Once you get disc brakes, you will wonder why you did not do it sooner. Everyone thinks the dana 30 is the problem in the brake system, but its really the weak rear drums. My 98 will lock up 35s on dry pavement.

I just pulled an o-ring out of my proportioning valve when I went to disc... Just what I saw to do... I'm not really sure why but it seamed like the thing to do at the time!

I haven't driven it with the new disc yet.

xj matt said:
it is about an inch and 3/4 narrower. I have had mine done for about 2 years with a locker and 33 inch tires and have had no problems .I think it is a 1995 and up that has the disk brakes

Thats really not to noticeable is it? I will probably use a small spacer to keep good tire distance for flex.

And thanks all. Send more info on areas of concern, good aspects, and good installs.

yup, 8.8 swap with drums,the stock prop. valve is still in there, I noticed slightly improved brake performance, swap was easier than I thought, I have to 1/2" spacers to help with the narrower axle.

I see alot of Good discussion here, I only want to add:

CRASH's Related post on Axle's http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80708

I know its annoying too, but you should search. Only because this particular issue has been covered and you will find plenty of personal stories and issues related to it.

A

I did an 8.8 swap, its my favorite mod (since it came with 4.10 gears in addition to the discs)

I'm using the stock proportioning valve as well.

The axle tubes will spin easily on the 8.8??? just weld a bead right around both tubes?
The only con so far is the loss of a little ground clearance on the 8.8 inch, 34's will help me regain a little.

aroncull said:
I see alot of Good discussion here, I only want to add:

CRASH's Related post on Axle's http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80708

I know its annoying too, but you should search. Only because this particular issue has been covered and you will find plenty of personal stories and issues related to it.

A
Yeah I appologize, but I searched the first times using just "8.8" and it came up nothing. I just put in "ford 8.8" and found alot. DUH on my part! Thanks for the link.

bcmaxx said:
The axle tubes will spin easily on the 8.8??? just weld a bead right around both tubes?
The only con so far is the loss of a little ground clearance on the 8.8 inch, 34's will help me regain a little.

the 8.8 is its own skidplate. :D

xjjeepcjs said:
Yeah I appologize, but I searched the first times using just "8.8" and it came up nothing. I just put in "ford 8.8" and found alot. DUH on my part! Thanks for the link.

"8.8" is only 3 characters and won't work with search. I discovered this when trying to search for "old man emu" and "ome".

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80053

Ive set up and installed 3 8.8's recently. One was in a YJ, posi rear disc with 4.88s, second was in a 00 XJ, open disc with 4.56s, and the third is the most recent. Set it up for a TJ, posi rear disc with 4.56s.

The width is almost un-noticable. Non of the jeeps I built used spacers, and I dont think its even needed for the rear. I dont recall...but I thought it was less than the difference listed above. I thought it was more like .5" on each side.

Anyway... You WILL gain alittle bit of lift over a D44 or stock axle. The 8.8 tubes are pretty big in DIA. We had to add 3/4 to the front of my buddles 00 to level it out. We measured his stock axle vs. the 8.8 and there was a pretty decent difference in the dimension from the centerline to the spring perch.

Yes most guys weld the tubes to the housing. I did it on all 3. 4 - 1" stitch welds around the tubes. Remember to pre-heat/post heat if you are mig welding to the center section. Even though I welded all the ones I did, I dont think the guys that I built them for will ever beat on them hard enough to spin the tubes.

The rear disc set up works great. As far as I can tell its almost 100% identical to the ZJ D35 rear disc set up. Different part numbers, but the parts will interchange. E-brake stuff is 100% the same. Im pretty sure the calipers are the same...and that makes the rotors the same. And...you can usually get the ZJ stuff cheaper :)

I have a D44 with discs in my Xj now...because I happened to get one almost free. However, after I get rid of my jeep, Ill be doing an 8.8 in the next one. They are $50 at my local yard, already have disc, are SUPER easy to gear compared to the D44 IMO...not to mention stronger then a 44.

Summary...go 8.8, you wont be disappointed!

Oh...and dont forget, the mercury mountaineer is the merc version of the exploder... most salvage yards, unless they have a set price for axles like mine, will charge less for the merc part, because they dont know any better and mercs are usually less "in demand".

J.

lowrange2 said:
I just pulled an o-ring out of my proportioning valve when I went to disc... Just what I saw to do... I'm not really sure why but it seamed like the thing to do at the time!

I haven't driven it with the new disc yet.
I played with the springs in the valve till I was blue in the face. The best breaking for me on my primaraly trail rig is to run no proportioning at all. If I mash real hard on a wet road I can just barly get the rear to lock up first. You really want the opposit but when I adjusted my valve to take away pressure to the rear then I lost total breaking effect. Plus backing down hills is no fun with any kind of proportioning. So I say that if your rig is mainly for trail use then remove the o-ring and be done. For a lot of high speed street use then a valve would help a little bit. I'm supprised at how well I got used to mine locking up in the rear first but I wouldn't want to toss my keys to a stranger on a rainy day for a street journey without a slight warning. Also if you build an 8.8 with the Supierior Super88 cromo axel kit then the c-clip eliminator part makes it about 1.3" wider but check that number for width increase.

Actually... I forgot some stuff. What I said about being almost 100% identical to the ZJ brake stuff is not accurate. Calipers usually interchange, but the pads are different due to the piston cup dimensions. Im pretty sure the backing plates wont interchange.

Everything else is pretty much swapable. And the stuff that isnt, WILL work, it just takes alittle bit of tweaking here and there.

Just wanted to clear that up.....

J.

Back