• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody running 17" wheels?

MONSTERxbla

NAXJA Forum User
I am gonna go with 35s and have found a wheel that I like but it only comes in a 17" size. But I have noticed that most of you run 15" wheels...what do you think?

That brings up a very good question.... which is heavier, i beefy tire on a 15" Rim, or less tire on a 17" Rim.
You may have less sidewall, but you wouldnt have all kinds of crazy sidewall... that sometimes plainly looks rediculous. So what RIM size is good? And which way (bigger rim smaller tire vs smaller rim bigger tire) is heavier?

MONSTERxbla said:
I am gonna go with 35s and have found a wheel that I like but it only comes in a 17" size. But I have noticed that most of you run 15" wheels...what do you think?

I run 17" Cragar black steel wheels with 37" Goodyear MTR's. 17 inch tires are deffinately more expensive.
A 35x17 tends to balance easier than a 35x15. 17's seem to be available in higher load ranges, which should have a little stronger sidewalls.
But there are a lot more choices in 15 inch wheels, and cheaper.

IMG_0668.jpg

The primary reason to go to a larger wheel is to fit bigger brakes under em. If there is no brake upgrade in the works, I would stick with the less expensive option.

i don't have any experience with, but have heard that with a 38" tire and 17" rim matches well. so 37x17 is probably comparable. i would venture to guess that it's not worth it for 36 or smaller though... ?

Muad'Dib said:
That brings up a very good question.... which is heavier, i beefy tire on a 15" Rim, or less tire on a 17" Rim.
You may have less sidewall, but you wouldnt have all kinds of crazy sidewall... that sometimes plainly looks rediculous. So what RIM size is good? And which way (bigger rim smaller tire vs smaller rim bigger tire) is heavier?

I would guess the larger rim. ppl who run large rims on sports cars often have to go with a "big brake" kit while keeping the same overall dia wheel.

If you think about it your moving (and enlarging) the whole rim seating surface away from the center while the bulk of the tires weight (the thread portion) stays constant.

I recall reading a tire/rim test in a magazine( don't remember which one) where they tested the same model tire on the same make rim, same outside dia. tire(don't remember the size either) using a 15" and a 17" rim. The 17" combo weighed more, and seemed to handle better on pavement. They didn't manage to damage either combo, but were worried about the 17"s in the rocks.

That said, all the guys I talk with( and I) go with the standard "Rim dia. at least 1/2 the tread dia." By that, anything over the 34-35 range should be ok.

When you get into larger tires its good to have a bigger wheel to take out some of the sidewall flex.

Back