• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another MJ build thread ...

Looks nice, wish mine had powertrain it in and was running.
Jon, you know that the 95/96 DD booster is plug n pray with the Renix MC, correct?

Looks nice, wish mine had powertrain it in and was running.
Jon, you know that the 95/96 DD booster is plug n pray with the Renix MC, correct?

No I did not . Jermemy, I might just do that instead. no modifying the pushrod even?

What is DD? Durango?

Of course, I already have the WJ stuff setup for a renix XJ so thats free and I know it works...

pretty much going SOA at this point. Not a fan of the front being so high already unloaded. I cant imagine it fully loaded...

Last edited:
Ya i put a 95/96
Booster in my renix xj. Had to modify the pushrod a bit to get it to work. Ill probably
Go with the wj stuff i have

Thing is sitting at like 5.5"-6" of lift up front , and 3" in the rear, I am thinking of buying some 3.5" coils for now, and later down the road go SOA in the rear and swap these coils back on....

If anyone has any cheap 3.5" coils for sale....Otherwise I will end up cutting these down...

Or , just leave the front tall and go SOA in the rear...but the control arm angles suck right now and the IRO tie rod doesn't seem to have enough length to it, so the tie rod ends are adjusted way out...

Got the perches and shock mounts from Barnes 4x4, from the HDoffroad stiffeners guy here on NAXJA, the prices shipped were about 10$ cheaper than Ruffstuff shipped using a 10% off code.

Last edited:
so the old booster was shot. All the seals were toast and it was full of brake fluid and it was obvious that brake fluid had been leaking for a while . Confirms the hard pedal and feeling of manual brakes and no power brakes.

So I installed my old WJ booster and Master Cylinder - already modified for a renix era XJ.

Holy crap, the brakes are amazing now. New front pads, rotors, and calipers, and bled the heck out of the system. It now finally almost feels safe enough to drive. Just need to finish adjusting the steering a bit. Then its just fender trimming and figuring out whether to lift the rear or drop the front.

Drop the front, SUA rides nicer that SOA.
Just curious, are you still using the renix knuckles/calipers etc?

Drop the front, SUA rides nicer that SOA.
Just curious, are you still using the renix knuckles/calipers etc?

I can always go SOA if I need to later on down the road and coils are relatively cheap so maybe ill just cut these coils down for now to keep it more streetable. I have the perches and shock mounts for the rear so I can knock out the rear in any weekend if I need more lift.

I am worried about the few times I will wheel it , and it is very long and very low with only 3" and that is what is tempting me to go SOA in the rear since it will need it...

I am using the renix knuckles, calipers and pads- the brakes are all brand new centric premium stuff from rock auto except the calipers are auto zone since I needed them ASAP.

Hey Jon, the manch is looking good. you can also armor it up since you do want to keep it street friendly and protect those lovely lines..:clap:

Hey Jon, the manch is looking good. you can also armor it up since you do want to keep it street friendly and protect those lovely lines..:clap:

Thanks terrance!

Ya I will need to . Ill probably just be doing sliders for now- 80" long. It has a gas skid and tcase skid, might have a line on a better tcase skid too.

Ill also be soon enough building front and rear bumpers and cutting out the rear quarter panels.

Id stay SUA, keep that sexy baby low. Just don't wheel it like silverback
I agree with this. Although you and Gordon probably thunk otherwise, there is more to wheeling than just rock bouncing. Haha.

finally a day time pic. always wrenching all night.

I need to finish pulling the fenders off, trim, and relocate higher up.
because the front basically has a 5.5-6" lift, the stock short arms are too short and the tires rub bad. longer control arms and cutting the coils down another inch will help fix this issues, along with fender trimming...

Last edited:
maiden freeway voyage last night - No Driveline vibes or DW. Not as tight as handling as I had hoped for but good enough

Stock LCAs with around 5.5" bring the suck - for caster, for super steep angles, and for the fact that it sucks the axle back and the tires rub bad when turning. longer LCAs and shorter coils will center the axle a lot better...

So it needs to be chopped down another 1" and ill throw the longer LCAs on as soon as I get them.

Im pretty sure caster sucks, I adjusted the UCAs 1/4" longer over stock along with stock LCAs and super tall coil.

I've got some WJ rear lowers in my garage if you want to rock those? Haha.
They are something like 18" long. With your current setup, they might work.

I already have a set or LCAs. just need to grab them. Also got a line on second set of adjustable so I will have 2 sets...

Back