• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Disc brake install

camarors8992: I'll try to get some pics in the next couple of days of how I routed my soft lines and what I did with the stock parking brake cables. Thanks for the complement.

Fastdemise: In those pics that I'm going to take you'll see where the ZJ soft line mount tabs are now aligned with the back of the spring perch. I'll be welding in a small square of 1/8" mild steel on there which I will drill and tap to take a screw. Then the soft lines will be nicely mounted.

The hard lines need to be shortened or replaced to make it clean, I got in a hurry and I just bent a loop in them to make them "shorter". :rolleyes: It works though.

I also need to do something with my brake lines. I bent the hard lines to match the caliper soft lines and just isn't very clean looking. I want to see if they make extended soft lines for the calipers (or just use some front lines that bolt on the same) and route the hard line myself.

try to use the shortest length of rubber line you can, longer = more pedal squishyness, I was looking at mine and thinking it would not be a bad idea to just buy generic length of brake hardline and bend it more clean looking at some point...

Thanks for all the work posting the write up and pictures. I am looking forward to doing this to my 93 XJ and my kids 91 YJ that has had the rear brakes leak all summer. Hope to get to the pull a part next weekend
Ron

well I had some issues today trying to hook up the ebrake cables, the first was that I followed the directions above re triming the springs, cut them both to match and then used the cable clamps to make what I thought was too equal size loops, I hooked them over the levers and tightened, all seemed ok, I routed the cables back to the adjuster and went to attach it to the front line and realized there is a slight difference in overall cable length now which means the that adjuster does not sit squarely when you adjust it to tension point. Then when I got in the cab and yanked the lever there was some slack followed by what was a significant release in pressure and I'd have to assume meant that one of the cable clamps let go? I'm not so sure i really trust this style of doing the ebrake cables, I'm wondering if I would be better off just buying new Liberty cables that other people seem to have had success using. Anyone know what year KY to buy for?

Anyone know what year KY to buy for?
are you using KY to lube the brake cables? i think you'd be better off with white lithium grease or some such, but it's your rig... :viking:

btw, that's a nice clean Cherokee you have! :thumbup: i stopped by city hall on friday. i was checking out your jeep, looking that the brakes, etc., and wondering how long until an officer came over and asked me wtf i was doing... :pirate1:

Last edited:
I have all my parts ready to go for this project, but school is taking over. No time for anything!

anything 2003 or later....

1996-ish ford exploder cables would be better though....closer to the right length, cheaper, and the same connector at the ends....

btw, the link worked yesterday, but now it redirects me to a generic page.

I think there's a site problem. When I try to select a vehicle there are no years in the year menu and searching for "engine" returns no matches.

Well here is what I could dig up from NAPAONLINE.com I think I'm going to call and order the Explorer cables from my local store, remove the XJ ones and see whats up...

2000 XJ Parking Brake Cable - Left Rear

u_clear.gif

Click on image to see enlarged view

Attributes:
Features & Benefits:Mounting Brackets Included Where Required
Features & Benefits:Specially Coated Wires & Inner Lubricating Sleeves Prevent Corrosion & Extend Cable Life.
Product Features:Computer Designed To Match Original Equipment Fit
Form & Function
Length:36 1/4"
Housing Length:27 1/4"

1997 FOrd Explorer 4dr Parking Brake Cable - Left Rear

u_clear.gif

Item#: UP 95427

Attributes:
Features & Benefits:Specially Coated Wires & Inner Lubricating Sleeves Prevent Corrosion & Extend Cable Life.
Form & Function
Length:42 1/8"
Housing Length:31 3/16"

2000 XJ Parking Brake Cable - Right Rear

u_clear.gif

Attributes:
Form & Function
Length:72 1/2"
Housing Length:64 3/8"

1997 FOrd Explorer 4DR Parking Brake Cable - Right Rear

u_clear.gif

Attributes:
Form & Function
Length:78 1/8"
Housing Length:69 5/8"

Last edited:
cables for a 97 explorer are a direct bolt in part!!! the only issue I had is that one of mine seemed to be defective, which I didn't realize until it was out of the box and I had it ready to install, the collar that holds in place was MIA on one side, I was able to remove a old one from an XJ cable and put them both on, after doing it I'm not sure if I need to adjust something inside the ebrake housing themselves as the adjuster isn't quick even on both sides, the wheels do feel like they stop at the same point and the handle has tremendous "pressure" now. Time for some panic stops kids.....

just wondering, does everyone buy new rotors when they do this? i understand that the condition of the used ZJ rotors may be questionable, but i would think that the majority of the time the rotors would be fine. why not pull the rotors from the ZJ when you're pulling the other parts?

I don't trust junkyard parts THAT much. Also, my local pick-n-pull puts the vehicles straight on the ground, so the rotors and pads are usually in pretty rough shape. When I pulled the rotors off the 8.8 I just bought, two of the brake pads came with them. The other pads broke right off the backing plates.

Definitely not the pads in my book, but I just scored a disk setup at the JY and the rotors were pretty fresh, so I had them turned. The pick a part I go to sets them on steel wheels welded together as a stand.

Back