• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another broken U-joint

scottsxj

NAXJA Forum User
im cruisen down the road today, and my jeep starts huming and vibrating, and all of a sudden BANG!!!. U-joint goes out. I want to stop this for good. I figure i need to shim my rear axle. Im sitting at 4 inches of lift in the rear, i measured using the "dirty" method. I have a PORC sye, and a Tom Woods Custom drive shaft. How do i measure what degree shims i need. Also when i put the shaft in i noticed it seemed to be a little short cause i had to pull it put so it would reach all the way. Could this be a reason the u-joint went, because it is putting stress or something on the joint. Thanks for any help

scott

just measure your output angle and compensate your pinion angle for it. cv's work best if the pinion is pointing at the tcase output.

so say your tcase angle is 5 degrees down, make your pinion angle 5 degrees up.

XgeekstarX said:
just measure your output angle and compensate your pinion angle for it. cv's work best if the pinion is pointing at the tcase output.

so say your tcase angle is 5 degrees down, make your pinion angle 5 degrees up.
No.....no....no. No! The t-case angle is irrelevant. He has an SYE, and the pinion angle needs to be 0* relative to the driveshaft, or even 1-2* below the driveshaft.

bing!

welcome back to the redness

Back