• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Big Bear Run (9-23-12)

I have been going up there for years, and never once been asked for an AP. I stopped buying them 4 years ago and it has never been a problem

it's only 5 bucks for the fine, the exact price of a day pass. and it isnt even enforcable.

it's only 5 bucks for the fine, the exact price of a day pass. and it isnt even enforcable.

I forget where i heard this and if its accurate but they arent supposed to charge for an adventure pass. Something about our taxes pay for that and what not.

I may be wrong though.

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_19974329

yea you're right. as long as you're not using the bathrooms and whatnot.

there was rumour from fairly credible sources that the passes helped fund efforts to limit trail access to mountain bikers. so many mountain bikers refuse to buy one or pay the fine, and no one gets in trouble for it.

http://www.whittierdailynews.com/news/ci_19974329

yea you're right. as long as you're not using the bathrooms and whatnot.

there was rumour from fairly credible sources that the passes helped fund efforts to limit trail access to mountain bikers. so many mountain bikers refuse to buy one or pay the fine, and no one gets in trouble for it.

I've seen and read it before and yes that is right. I was told by other the same only if you use the amenities. Which does not clarify any thing. If a rent a space in the camp site then I've rented use of such, so do I have to pay the pass also to use the forest?? If I go out of the camp and park on a side road for a hike does my camp fee cover the use of the forest for my hike? Is buying a pass a prerequisite to paying for a camp site??????? It's too vague they are milking us for every dime to give to their crony buddies.

Was up there a month ago and ran holcomb on bald tires open/open on 32's and we got another completely stock rig through it with only 1 tug. Theres nothing in big bear you cant get a stock rig through with some patience and good spotting. Might be interested in this. Need to get my motor done though.

:bunny:

So I guess you've done Deep Creek, Dish Pan Springs and John Bull, all in a stock Jeep you actually went up the water falls without a tug in a stocker and John Bull also! Wow hats off to you. Well we'll be up there on the 23rd and you can show us all how it's done, we'll be expecting you no excuses now! Oh I have a regroving gun if you get into some slippery stuff we can reprove and get you traction!

There appears to be a group camp 3n02 just north of 3n16 but I do not know what it's called.

There is no group CG where you describe. It may have been a field school for a university.

Your probably right but they looked more like hunters. Older bearded guys with vest. I was thinking maybe it was a duck hunting group be cause they were in the meadow walking around. I didn't see any Prius's or Volts just 4x's and dullies!

Your probably right but they looked more like hunters. Older bearded guys with vest. I was thinking maybe it was a duck hunting group be cause they were in the meadow walking around. I didn't see any Prius's or Volts just 4x's and dullies!

Duck season doesn't start till the end of October and duck hunters don't wear blaze orange

what do you know. even their guns are orange.
3210301484_95194226c6.jpg

That rules out the duck suspicion, what about miners club or bearded old guys club lol I don't know I was limping a broken axle and really paid no attention to them until you guys talked about yellow post sites. I know they had clothes on or I would have noticed the dragging sacks!

FYI:
One month from now a group of XJs are planning a run in Big Bear Sunday September 23. Meet up at 8 and hit the trail by 8:30. Post up if you can come or want to come. I will post direction on where everyone is meeting when it gets finalized.

This will be an easy to moderate trail run. I will post more info as it comes in.

Is this still a go or is it petered out??

Was up there a month ago and ran holcomb on bald tires open/open on 32's and we got another completely stock rig through it with only 1 tug. Theres nothing in big bear you cant get a stock rig through with some patience and good spotting. Might be interested in this. Need to get my motor done though.

:bunny:

Where you one of the Jeeps I was out there with? Our leader was in a light blue 4 runner...eventually he blew a birfield trying to pull someone out? I was in my red XJ and my friend with his two Toyotas?

Either way, two people in my group did make the waterfall with almost stock XJs. Took sime time, rock stacking, wheel spinning etc. Not a good way to keep a jeep alive for a long time but they did it.

I'll be up there this weekend at my friends cabin. I'll try to meet up if thats alright with everyone.

Is this still a go or is it petered out??

Defiantly still a go! There is about 10 XJ on CF that are coming. Cameron from the forum is leading the group. We are meeting at Denny's in Big Bear City Sunday morning and leaving at 8am... getting to the trail head about 8:30am. So meet us at Denny's or the tail head (Gold Mountain). This shall be fun!

Last edited:
Where you one of the Jeeps I was out there with? Our leader was in a light blue 4 runner...eventually he blew a birfield trying to pull someone out? I was in my red XJ and my friend with his two Toyotas?

Either way, two people in my group did make the waterfall with almost stock XJs. Took sime time, rock stacking, wheel spinning etc. Not a good way to keep a jeep alive for a long time but they did it.

I'll be up there this weekend at my friends cabin. I'll try to meet up if thats alright with everyone.

Did you say rock stacking? So it was fun for all except your buddy that blew an axle pulling out one of the stockers. Tell the stockers if they insist on stock tires and differentials to buy a winch so they can pull themselves out and not put the burden on those that won't leave people behind, such as myself. I think I'm going to have to change my attitude to helping those that are set up for the trail and give a ride out to those that aren't. I'm sorry but many of us, like your broken axle friend, have spent good money and time prepping our Jeeps to go out and break things while trying to help someone that's on a trail they shouldn't be on. I built my 1st XJ in 92 and read Victor Valley's vehicle requirements and made sure I had lockers and tires from day one. Hey forget it I'm just ranting I feel real bad for your friend because airfields aren't cheap!

Last edited:
Defiantly still a go! There is about 10 XJ on CF that are coming. Cameron from the forum is leading the group. We are meeting at Denny's in Big Bear City Sunday morning and leaving at 8am... getting to the trail head about 8:30am. So meet us at Denny's or the tail head (Gold Mountain). This shall be fun!

Okie dokie some guys are going to be up there already! Camped out at one of the YP's. The 10 XJ's are they set up similar to yours if not I have some friends with taller tires and small lifts that might want to come. They'll be ok for Gold Mnt and some mild stuff!

I am still planning to show.

John, are you planning on camping or just for the day. Dan (Vanimal), 94RHD XJ, and others were interested in camping and Boostemonte too! I don't know if Garrett is going to be ready or run his flopper? I don't know what the total group size is going to be but if all interested and final can post up here it would help get an idea!

Last edited:
Back