• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annual Swamp Lake Trail run July 15-17

What is a secure pull / tow location on the front of an XJ? i mean i really want to know...

any ideas any kits out there... i have yet to install a new front bumper that is worthy of pulling the xj.

thanx

BB

Goatman said:
You can pay in advance or at the trailhead. :)

Since we'll be buying the meat and other supplies, it would be nice to collect most of it in advance, both to have the funds and to confirm the amounts. There's plenty of time to get into those details, right now I just want everyone to be able to get it on the calendar.

Well then I'll be up at Roberts house the day before mothers day visiting and working on his Jeep. I'll stop by an give you some funds then.

Sounds like a ton of fun. My group has a planned trip for the same dates. We were planning on camping in the same areas. I don't think anyone in our group has done Swamp. The last few years we have done the Dusy. Is there enough room for all of us at Grouse Lake? I don't know how many will be in our group. I am guessing between 7-10??
Does the camping area near the trailhead have enough room? If not is there other camping nearby?

I have not wheel with Paul or David T. for a few years. It will be good to see them on the trail again. It will be great to meet some of the others too.

Scott E.

FourbangerYJ said:
Sounds like a ton of fun. My group has a planned trip for the same dates. We were planning on camping in the same areas. I don't think anyone in our group has done Swamp. The last few years we have done the Dusy. Is there enough room for all of us at Grouse Lake? I don't know how many will be in our group. I am guessing between 7-10??
Does the camping area near the trailhead have enough room? If not is there other camping nearby?

I have not wheel with Paul or David T. for a few years. It will be good to see them on the trail again. It will be great to meet some of the others too.

Scott E.

We fill up the available camping area at Grouse Lake. We even pull the rigs into the brush to keep the open areas for tents. If we have two groups there it will be a problem, but we always run that risk.

There is also camping at Swamp Lake, which is over the hill from Grouse Lake, and a good sized camping spot at the meadow before coming to Swamp Lake (a cabin and large picnic table mark the spot). If you run the trail from north to south you'll come to Swamp Lake first, if you run from south to north you'll come to Grouse Lake first. If enough of our group is interested in running Bald Mtn on the way out, we'll run it south to north.

We don't camp at the trailhead, we camp at Dinkey Creek. That is about a 20 minute drive from the southern trailhead and about an hour drive to the northern trailhead. We don't camp in the Dinkey Creek campground, we camp in the trees next to the road just past Camp Fresno. There is all kinds of room where we camp, no way to fill it up.

FarmerMatt said:
I'm getting all choked up here too, Marky... You realize that Swamp is where we first met? Time goes by sooo fast... We'll have to figure out some other way to celebrate our anniversery. I'm depressed.

Matt

Awwww, how sweet. He remembers your first date. Do you remember what he was wearing or the color of his eyes? :laugh3:

-Mike

Goatman said:
We fill up the available camping area at Grouse Lake. We even pull the rigs into the brush to keep the open areas for tents. If we have two groups there it will be a problem, but we always run that risk.

There is also camping at Swamp Lake, which is over the hill from Grouse Lake, and a good sized camping spot at the meadow before coming to Swamp Lake (a cabin and large picnic table mark the spot). If you run the trail from north to south you'll come to Swamp Lake first, if you run from south to north you'll come to Grouse Lake first. If enough of our group is interested in running Bald Mtn on the way out, we'll run it south to north.

We don't camp at the trailhead, we camp at Dinkey Creek. That is about a 20 minute drive from the southern trailhead and about an hour drive to the northern trailhead. We don't camp in the Dinkey Creek campground, we camp in the trees next to the road just past Camp Fresno. There is all kinds of room where we camp, no way to fill it up.

We plan on going in the Southern route. If for some reason we get to Grouse before you we will not camp there. We will go see what we can find near Swamp lake. We just might see you Thursday night. I think we will try and camp in the same area. Do the campgrounds in the Dinkey Creek area require reservations? Is there any camping at the ranger station where you get the fire permits?

FourbangerYJ said:
We plan on going in the Southern route. If for some reason we get to Grouse before you we will not camp there. We will go see what we can find near Swamp lake. We just might see you Thursday night. I think we will try and camp in the same area. Do the campgrounds in the Dinkey Creek area require reservations? Is there any camping at the ranger station where you get the fire permits?

We don't use the Dinkey Creek campground, which should have spaces on Thursday night but is usually booked on busy weekends. Open camping is OK in the Sierra National Forest, so people camp just off the road in many different areas. We camp in a nice spot that has plenty of room for a group much larger than ours, and would be a good place for your group to stay. Here's directions:

Head east from Fresno on Hwy 168, follow the signs to Shaver Lake, which is roughly an hour drive from Fresno. As you are coming into the town of Shaver Lake, make a right turn onto Dinkey Creek Rd, where there will be a sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Continue on Dinkey Creek Rd for around 15-20 miles, and as you are coming into Dinkey Creek, look for another sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Make a right turn at this sign onto McKinley Grove Rd......very important! If you miss this right turn, you will drive past the ranger station and the Dinkey Creek store and end up at Dinkey Campground. After making the right turn onto McKinley Grove Rd, immediately crossing the Dinkey Creek bridge, go for about 1/4 mile and look for the Camp Fresno sign on the left. At this sign, there are two roads that go to the left, the first cuts back sharply and goes to Camp Fresno, the second is road 10S36. Turn left onto 10S36 and immediately turn right into the trees, which is our camping spot. This is not a developed campsite, so there are no fees or facilities, but bathrooms are close at the ranger station or at the picnic area next to Dinkey Creek.

See you there,

Thanks Richard!

I have only been to the Dinkey Creek ranger station for our fire permits. Is there any gas in town? We normally fill up in shaver.

Many folks in our club have met you, I am looking forward to it.

FourbangerYJ said:
Thanks Richard!

I have only been to the Dinkey Creek ranger station for our fire permits. Is there any gas in town? We normally fill up in shaver.

Many folks in our club have met you, I am looking forward to it.

The Dinkey Creek store has gas (expensive, emergency only), showers, ice, and a small snack bar that has hot food. We normally fill up in Prather, but you can also fill up in Shaver if you don't pull in too late. There is also gas at the top of the hill at the Texaco but they close at 8:00pm. For anyone driving an XJ, you can actually fill up in Clovis and have enough gas for the run. It's different when running Dusy, you want to have as much gas as possible then.

FarmerMatt said:
I'm getting all choked up here too, Marky... You realize that Swamp is where we first met? Time goes by sooo fast... We'll have to figure out some other way to celebrate our anniversery. I'm depressed.

Matt

Damn, I'm never running that trail again. I was wondering why my life went down hill after that trip! :D

hinkley

How many are looking to play on Bald Mtn?

I know I do, I have a grudge with Vrock.

roll2.jpg

Porch Puppy said:
I'd like to go. But I'm doing a run to JV for Big Red that weekend :rattle: ...
Andy

The JV run is cancelled, see you at Swamp Andy. :laugh3:

Mike L said:
I think he finally got the message he is not ready for JV. Especially with how hard the a/c will need to work at that time.

I should also be in for the trip.

-Mike

My Jeep is ready for JV, I'm ready for Swamp, Dusy, Rubicon, Fordyce etc in the Sierras. My Jeep's planning on going, but gas is to expensive and I like the scenery of the Sierra trails alot better. I still have to break the news to my Jeep that we are doing Swamp Lake instead of JV in July. Maybe if my Jeep does good, then I'll let her run the JV stuff later in the year. :laugh3:

Last edited:
Back