• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annual Swamp Lake Trail run July 15-17

ChuckD, Scrappy, + Goatman,
Thanks for the input, I decided to bite the bullet
and just get it done, ARB + "super 35" axels are
on order, plan to install over Mem. day wkend.
So it's official...COUNT ME IN!
This will be my 1st run with the club, lookin forward
to meeting everybody.

bugslinger said:
ChuckD, Scrappy, + Goatman,
Thanks for the input, I decided to bite the bullet
and just get it done, ARB + "super 35" axels are
on order, plan to install over Mem. day wkend.
So it's official...COUNT ME IN!
This will be my 1st run with the club, lookin forward
to meeting everybody.

That's the way to do it.......just get 'er done! :)

Look forward to meeting you,

welp

I didnt know aobut this till Brett forwarded me the link, but it looks like i will be able to go.

ill be there, full skidz (no rocker protection) and a ford 9" with (hopefully) a locker on 33's

maybe ill have my d44 in, i hope...

Is there any way to catch up with the group on Friday PM/Saturday AM without running the first part of the trail or is this a three day commitment? Need to decide if I need to take a vacation day or not.

Yes. The last few years I haven't been able to make it up on Thursday either. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it this year or not, but typically theres a small group that head in Sat morning, meet up with the group, & than wheel out with them Sun. Only thing that sucks about this is that all the good camp spots get sucked up before we get there...

Matt

kr7o said:
Is there any way to catch up with the group on Friday PM/Saturday AM without running the first part of the trail or is this a three day commitment? Need to decide if I need to take a vacation day or not.

Awh, take the vacation day....it's worth it.

:D

Goatman said:
Awh, take the vacation day....it's worth it.

:D

Actually, I plan to and drive up Friday AM, but I can't plan 5 minutes ahead with my work so it is good that there are options for late arrivals. Once on the trail I expect to have no cell coverage (a good thing) and can wheel in peace!

Hey just for those who care, I may end up commin up friday night and running the trail at night to catch up.

I am not necessarly planning on doing it that way, but odds are thats how it will be. So people that are going late, can follow me if need be.

Matt

Goatman said:
That's the way to do it.......just get 'er done! :)

Look forward to meeting you,

Got 'er done, just finished with install of
Yukon 35's(30 spline), ARB, gas tank skid + rock rails.
Gonna try to get extra axels JIC tween now + then.

Is it 7/15 yet?

What time Thursday night do you usually meet and where is this camp site? I am 98% sure I can make this trip and meet up with you guys on Thursday night, just need to know where. Can I bring my dog?

Copied from years past...

Take Hwy 168 heading NE out of Fresno/Clovis, towards Shaver Lake and Huntington Lake. If you're coming from the south, exit Hwy 99 at Kingsburg and go north until you reach Hwy 168 (about 30 miles), then make a right. If you're coming from the north, exit Hwy 99 at Herndon, and drive all the way through town, then bear left onto Hwy 168. The new freeway through Fresno turns into Hwy 168, so you can take it off either Hwy 99 from the north or Hwy 41 from the south, if you want.
So, heading NE on Hwy 168, follow the signs to Shaver Lake, which is roughly an hour drive from Fresno. As you are coming into the town of Shaver Lake, make a right turn onto Dinkey Creek Rd, where there will be a sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Continue on Dinkey Creek Rd for around 15-20 miles, and as you are coming into Dinkey Creek, look for another sign saying Wishon and Courtright Reserviors. Make a right turn at this sign onto McKinley Grove Rd......very important! If you miss this right turn, you will drive past the ranger station and the Dinkey Creek store and end up at Dinkey Campground. After making the right turn onto McKinley Grove Rd, immediately crossing the Dinkey Creek bridge, go for about 1/4 mile and look for the Camp Fresno sign on the left. At this sign, there are two roads that go to the left, the first cuts back sharply and goes to Camp Fresno, the second is road 10S36. Turn left onto 10S36 and immediately turn right into the trees, which is our camping spot.

This is not a developed campsite, so there are no fees or facilities, but bathrooms are close at the ranger station or at the picnic area next to Dinkey Creek. If you can, bring a little firewood.

Jes said:
About 4 hours.

Not bad. After last weekends trip down south (9 Hours down and 7 hours back) 4 hours will seem like cake walk - haha

Is anyone leaving from the San Jose area Thursday night? I might ever leave super early Friday morning (5ish) and catch the group before they head out to the trail.

SharkXJ said:
What time Thursday night do you usually meet and where is this camp site? I am 98% sure I can make this trip and meet up with you guys on Thursday night, just need to know where. Can I bring my dog?

Yes, dogs are welcome. :)

We'll be arriving at camp at all hours, usually from Thursday morning to after midnight.

I was going to start a new thread with directions and details, but I'll wait a few days. I was copying directions from previous posts, but I see Jes already did.

We're going to provide one dinner and one breakfast this year. Dinner will be Friday night, so you don't have to set up camp and then cook. Breakfast will be Sunday morning, so you don't have to mess with that while you're packing up. Cost will be $20 per vehicle. I'll start another thread about food and who's coming so we can get a good head count and know how much food to bring.

Last edited:
Coming from the north I would rather exit 99 at Central Madera and take 145 east through Friant and Auberry to 168 instead of heading all the way down to Fresno. I drive it by habit so can't give the full directions (will have to pull it up on Mapquest).

Back