• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Andriod tablet in XJ

Panda_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I just wanted to show a little progress on my XJ as I am working towards using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch tablet as my head unit.

Goals for this stage of the project:

1. Install amp to run factory speakers (Will be upgraded at a later time)
2. Install 3.5mm aux jack in center console
3. Try to keep everything hidden

Below is a picture of the stuff I bought going into this project. What is missing is a 3.5mm splitter and 3.5mm extension wire.

The first thing I needed to do was decide where I wanted the amp. I decided to go with under the fron passenger seat so I can ensure the amp would get good air flow and not overheat in the summer. I removed the passenger seat and discovered that their were cuts in the carpet that would work perfect for what I needed. (I wanted to make sure that I kept the audio and power cables as far away from eachother as possible) :)

Because the Battery is located in the passenger side of the XJ I wanted to bring the main power to the amp in on that side. I used the factory grommet by the blower motor to accomplish this. I cut a small slit in the factory grommet and fed the main power in that way. It worked great and droped in right above to the fuse box on the passenger kick pannel

I contuned to run the wiring such as the RCA-3.5mm, and Speaker wires up to the factory head unit location to prep for the installation for the rest of the install.

So I kinda made the first hole too big for the aux input....but I will use the hole for a usb charging port or power outlet so no biggie lol. I also didnt have the aux flush yey because i wanted to glue it from the back and I forgot the glue when I was shopping. so I have it pushed in the hole for now ( still a very snug fit)

The next steps in the project are as follows:

1. Fiberglass the tablet into the extra center console
2. Work out the DHCP issues with communicating two andriod devices. ( I want to play my music from my phone on the tablet with good audio quality)
3. Start working on a cover for the rear section to hide the 10 inch sub yet to be installed.

Back