• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator install need help asap

Silverstreak01

NAXJA Forum User
hello_ i got a new bosch alternator in today to replace my fried one.

the only diffrence i see the old one has a plug for the 2 little wires and the new one has mini terminals like the top big connection.

can i split these 2 wires before the plug and use connectors.?
will it only work 1 way. or will i fry the whole thing if i hook it up backwards?

it looks exactly the same except for the bottom connection.
i need HELP

If I were you I wouldnt splice the wires......I believe that it is the wrong alt. It may say that it is for your year, but the plug in is completely wrong. I would call boshe, or customer support and find out if they know anything. There should be a number to call with the paperwork you recieved.

Brian

My Mean Green has terminals like the Bosch in the picture and so did my old stock alternator. I don't really understand your problem. What year is your XJ?

alt1.jpg

Last edited:
a 2001 but whats someone told me is if it was made in say december of 2000 but didnt get out till 2001 i could be diffrent.. the alt i bought for the 01 doesnt fit.. it hits the bracket...and doesnt let the top bolt line up...

They actually started production in sept and you could have gotten an alt for a 2000. My 98 was built in sept of 97 and I got a 97 fuel pump that is not covered under the recall they had for the 97's. You could be in the same boat.

I have been doing some searching:
the one i got is just barely fititng? can i grind the bracket a little were its hitting? the thing is my freind already cut the plug off the wires and put 2 connectors on it..
that mean green has the same style conections as my bosch... but the one that came out of my jeep had a plug..
its just its so close to going in its pathetic

grind it down, i had to grind a fair bit on the bracket and a little on the block when i fit my MG alt. take your time, i wouldn't go too fast just enough to fit the wider alt. i think its aluminum easy to get carried away with removing alot you don't want to weaken the bracket. i have an 01 as well, ordered the MG for it and the connector was a plug and play, no cutting or splicing. no problems for over 6 months.

Last edited:
i screwed myself by cutting the wires. but 2 wires go to 2 connections and i can tell the ones they should go to.
i should probably return the bosch i got... get a mean green... grind the bracket down.. buy a new plug and do it that way... what a PITA !

thanks

Silverstreak01 said:
a 2001 but whats someone told me is if it was made in say december of 2000 but didnt get out till 2001 i could be diffrent.. the alt i bought for the 01 doesnt fit.. it hits the bracket...and doesnt let the top bolt line up...

LeftNavDot_blue.gif
01/1999 - 12/2000 Jeep Cherokee Alternator

Application: 90 amp w/ 6-groove pulley
Fits: 01/1999 - 12/2000 Jeep Cherokee
Important Fit Details: Vehicles made from 01/1999 to 12/2000.
Brand: Denso

Silverstreak01i definetly oreder the one for a 2001 off the net. http://www.drivewire.com/jeepparts/...pJeepCherok ee

the 120a one all the way down..

i dont know..

would i be ok using the 120a bosch i have from a 2001 . I had 2 wires going into a plug. should there be any reason those 2 wires cant go on the newer style alternator?
and just grind down that cast bracket to make it fit... If i dont do this im going to be out a jeep for another at least another day. out $ for shipping this one back $ for getting the newer one here. and more $ for the 90amp one for my year.....

Last edited:
note : i just talked to the guys at http://www.4alterstart.com

they told me exactly what i needed to know. the 2 wires that went into the plug can just be seperated and attached to the new alternator. and it also doesnt matter wich wire goes on wich terminal..

SO. it looks like a little grindin and a 120amp bosche for an 01 will fit.

I had the same problem with my rear drum pads. My XJ is a 2000 but I need pads from a 2001. Anything after March 9th of 2000 was considered a different style.

Brian

Back