• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator choices?

I temporarily connected that kit to a Delco (Denso) 90 amp oe replacement alternator, (98 XJ) adjusted to the lowest voltage setting, voltage output is around ~17 volts, measured directly from the alternator's output.

With the PCM (EVR) connected alternator output is normal ~14 volts. I'm wondering if the voltage reg. CP3818 that came with the kit is faulty or some sort of incompatibility?

Everything was wired as in the instructions, along with a ground wire, except the battery was used instead of the ign. as 12 volt power for the CP3818.

I have another large case Denso alternator that's suppose to have been upgraded to 200 amps. Though I don't know which parts of the alternator were actually upgraded. A good High Output alternator will use six phases vs an OE three phase, plus upgrade the stator, rotor, rectifier and diodes. To have better output at lower rpms. A good high output 200+ amp, should be putting out at least ~100 amps around idle rpms and designed for better cooling.

Im not sure why yours was putting out that kinda voltage. Mine only puts out 12.5 to 14volts. I have it run off the power wire from fuse box.

I previously wrote CP8318. The kit comes with a Transpo C8313.

After e-mailing them several times, never heard back . From what I know about the site, is they contract with an alternator shop in the same area where alternators are repaired, rebuilt, customized, etc.

I'll need to find some more information about the C8313 from somewhere else to determine if it's faulty or another problem. Switching field terminal connection, did not make any difference with the alternator voltage output.

My 98 the PCM (EVR) electronic voltage regulator grounds one of the field terminals many times per second (kHz) to control the field.

Last edited:
I previously wrote CP8318. The kit comes with a Transpo C8313.

After e-mailing them several times, never heard back . From what I know about the site, is they contract with an alternator shop in the same area where alternators are repaired, rebuilt, customized, etc.

I'll need to find some more information about the C8313 from somewhere else to determine if it's faulty or another problem. Switching field terminal connection, did not make any difference with the alternator voltage output.

My 98 the PCM (EVR) electronic voltage regulator grounds one of the field terminals many times per second (kHz) to control the field.

The technical term for this is called Pulse Width Modulation. (PWM)

The technical term for this is called Pulse Width Modulation. (PWM)

Yes i'm aware of PWM (pulse width modulation) theory. It's used with my Morningstar Tri-star and other solar chargers. It's a modulation technique used to supply power to an electrical device, charging batteries, etc. Modern battery chargers often use PWM to charge batteries at a faster rate as it's able manipulate and create a more efficient charging rate (using higher voltages). It's also used to encode information for transmission.

I'm trying to keep things simple as possible. Sometimes bringing more information and theories to a subject for troubleshooting complicates understanding. I'm trying to keep things simple as possible. Even when referring to kHz complicates matters.

The PCM basically grounds one of the field terminals many times per second, in order to control terminal voltages and the alternator's field.

Last edited:
Back