• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternative speaker locations

jeo

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for pics/ideas for speaker install locations. My xj does not have the rear speaker bar in the hatch area, and I need to install fairly deep 6.5 inch speakers and tweeters. I already have speakers in my doors, and have a bit of MDF experience, so if there's something I can build, let me know. Thanks.

jeo said:
I'm looking for pics/ideas for speaker install locations. My xj does not have the rear speaker bar in the hatch area, and I need to install fairly deep 6.5 inch speakers and tweeters. I already have speakers in my doors, and have a bit of MDF experience, so if there's something I can build, let me know. Thanks.
I mounted my 6x9s in boxes attached to the rear hatch.I used the original speaker bolt holes in the hatch to mount the boxes,then I just bolted the speakers into the boxes. The sound is soooo much better now.The boxes give the speakers punch,and they don't take up much cargo space,opposed to some 15s in boxes that take up all of the cargo area.

I installed a rear deck in mine, and love it. It holds a 15" sub and two 6x9's and underneath i mounted the amps. Below the deck it gives hidden storage and has worked out to be extreamly practical. I ran mine at the height of the top of the back seat, three L-brackets on each side...3/4" MDF board approx 29X53" covered with a light pad and material...(i knew wathing that lowell christopherson show would come in handy)...and walla. I used bolts with wing nuts to hold it to the L-brackets, and quick release's for speakers and amp so it can be removed in about two min. if i need to use the space. When I get moved and settled in, I snap some pics if you want
dave

trouble1 said:
I installed a rear deck in mine, and love it. It holds a 15" sub and two 6x9's and underneath i mounted the amps. Below the deck it gives hidden storage and has worked out to be extreamly practical. I ran mine at the height of the top of the back seat, three L-brackets on each side...3/4" MDF board approx 29X53" covered with a light pad and material...(i knew wathing that lowell christopherson show would come in handy)...and walla. I used bolts with wing nuts to hold it to the L-brackets, and quick release's for speakers and amp so it can be removed in about two min. if i need to use the space. When I get moved and settled in, I snap some pics if you want
dave

I'd love to see some pictures myself. I'm working on some custom ideas myself. Thanks

I have a 90 2 door and installed speakers where the cup holders are on either side of the back seat. I removed the plastic piece that has the cup holder part and cut pieces of wood to fit with grey carpet over them. Aside from needing to fill in the bottom section of it with something (a gap where the plastic trim sticks out) it looks like a factory installation. I installed 5 1/4" speakers I think but there is room for bigger. Sorry I have no pictures.

I built a box for two 10's with a bin in the back for tool/amp storage, made it as short as possible with the subs firing downward. Used 3/4 " mdf also and covered it with some gray outdoor type carpet from Home Depot.

I have 6x9's in the tailgate, 4x6's at the bottom of the rear doors and 6x9's in the front doors, and two 10's in a wedge shaped box attatched to the rear seat back.
two amps under the rear seat and one on the tailgate. :listenmus: sounds great, installation took about three hours w/ a friend

I first built some boxes for my 6x9s but got tired of moving them around. I just made some speaker extensions out of MDF and mounted them on the hatch. With the grill and extensions they stick out proud about 2" but that is much less room lost than the big boxes I had. The bass response isn't as good naturally and they do get muffled when we pack for a trip. However, I'm satisfied with the sound and enjoy the extra room and convenience. I have seen a homemade speaker bar in the rear but didn't get any pictures.

Back