• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alright I was wrong... PS pump failure?

FatSlobBob

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, on to the next problem.

Just replace my steering box with a Durango box and got an alignment today. Everything was great, steering felt great, then on my way home I lost power steering at idle/low speeds. Luckily it was mostly a straight shot and I limped her home.

I was told by some member that a bigger PS pump was needed for the Durango box. I hadn't seen that in any of the online write-ups so I ignored it. Lo and behold I was wrong! My guess is it was a combination of a pump on its way out being paired with a new steering box.

That being said, what pump should I look into? I need to get it ordered ASAP.

Everyone can ignore this or mods can delete. I ordered a new unit from O'reillys. Already took the old one out. Replacing the lines and pulley at the same time.

V8 WJ pump......:D

You'll need to swap the XJ fitting over, plug the hydraulic pump tube on the bottom of the reservoir and modify the brackets a bit to make it work.

Other suggestion stock pump with an underdrive pulley.

Orielly or autozone stock xj pump in my jeep, using the big dodge durrango gearbox. Runs fine near 2 years now. 33x12.5 m/t tires, many rocky trails.

also have a cooler and a filter in the return line.

Thanks for that. Yeah, I don't blame the stock pump for not being able to handle it. My stock pump was probably as beat as my steering box. Now they'll both be new

Back