• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PS port stripped... Worse case scenario planning

FatSlobBob

NAXJA Forum User
For any of you who have been frequenting the forum you've probably run across a couple of my recent posts.

Long story short: I swapped in a Durango steering box. Got an alignment. PS pump went out. Just installed a brand new pump.

So now we are here. I purchased new "Precision" brand (O'reilly's) PS hoses. The high pressure hose doesn't even seem to fit (wrong bends). The low pressure hose fit but leaked like a sieve so I took it off and the bottom threads on it literally peeled away from the bolt (bad casting?). I also noticed some slight damage to the top thread of my low pressure port on the brand new steering box (was not there before).

I had O'reilly's swap the hoses for new ones but haven't tried them yet due to having to go to work. Worst case scenario, if the port is stripped and doesn't thread anymore, is there a way to fix it? Maybe a tap would work?

Additionally, does it matter of the port threads are completely dry prior to attaching the PS hose, or is a little PS fluid not an issue?

I really, really hope the crummy hose didn't damage my box port threads.

Are you sure you didn't mix up American and metric threads?

Post up a pic.

Only three things could've caused what you described:
- wrong thread size
- correct size but you cross threaded it
- correct size but you over torqued and stripped it

If there's enough meat left you *might* get lucky and chase it out with a tap. Doubtful if you had to unwind the casting thread from the bolt/fitting like I understand from what you described.

So the thread that peeled off was the thread from the PS hose, not the port thread. I didn't tighten it down too much but maybe I did over tighten... If it doesn't thread with the new hose I'll probably try a tap. If that doesn't work I may be screwed as far as the new box goes.

Do you know if it matters if you thread the PS hose on with PS fluid sitting in the port? Or should it the threads be completely dry?

I'm at work but will post pics tonight. The thread on the PS hose was still attached to the hose fitting when I removed the hose, but partially peeled away from the fitting.

Are you chasing threads or retapping it?

Using the same tap thread isn’t going to do anything if the threads are already wiped out. You’ll need to step up in thread size at that point. Personally I would do a helicoil that way power steering hoses are OTC or click and buy.

If your trying to do this all in the vehicle... take the steering gear out. Get a good visual inspection of the threads and try the high pressure hose without it fighting you or having to contort yourself.

Right now I believe I'm just chasing threads. There didn't feel/look to be damage except for maybe the top thread on the port. I'm going to see if the new hose will thread this morning. If it won't, my next step will likely be removing the box and getting a better picture of what's going on.

I was so close to having her all buttoned up :( no project is ever simple!

You probably want a short 90 degree pick to chase the threads.

A dentist pick may work, but you want a thick one, not one of the thin ones.

More than anything I expect you have the remains of the hose fitting threads stuck in the valleys of the gear box threads.

It would be a good idea to plug the fluid passage so that little bits of metal don't go into the gear box.

Back