• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alpine speaker owners

Mine were too deep to fit in the doors (Type Rs). Had to make spacers.
Can you be more specific about what kind of issues you're thinking about or having?

I haven't bought speakers yet. But the speakers I'm thinkin of gettin are the type-s. What size speakers did you put in your car? frt, rear, and roof ?

jeo said:
Mine were too deep to fit in the doors (Type Rs). Had to make spacers.
Can you be more specific about what kind of issues you're thinking about or having?

MY98XJ said:
I haven't bought speakers yet. But the speakers I'm thinkin of gettin are the type-s. What size speakers did you put in your car? frt, rear, and roof ?
I did a custom install...all front speakers in the front door - Alpine Type R 6" woofer, 5 1/4 woofer and tweeters. Put my crossovers under the back seat, amps on the back of the back seat and bolted my Focal sub to the floor in the rear cargo area.
Alpine Type S are ok...personally wouldn't go with anything less than the Type Rs...but I really love my music...

nice setup. basically i just want a direct replacement on my stockers, replace all six speakers...

jeo said:
I did a custom install...all front speakers in the front door - Alpine Type R 6" woofer, 5 1/4 woofer and tweeters. Put my crossovers under the back seat, amps on the back of the back seat and bolted my Focal sub to the floor in the rear cargo area.
Alpine Type S are ok...personally wouldn't go with anything less than the Type Rs...but I really love my music...

MY98XJ said:
nice setup. basically i just want a direct replacement on my stockers, replace all six speakers...
Are you replacing anything else at the same time? Head unit, adding an amp, anything? Because running stock stereo power into good speakers really won't make a huge difference. It's when you start running better power (a good head unit or amp) to better speakers that you notice major improvements.
When I added my new head unit way back before I got the rest of my stuff, I had it hooked up to the stock speakers, and the improvement was very noticeable...
Oh, and I don't think the cherokees came with stock speakers in the rear doors...not sure but i've never heard of it.

Make sure you don't have the Infiniti option for sound - the amp(s) would be mounted under the rear seat, driver side. You will have to remove these if you're putting another amp in. I don't know the power rating for this amp, but I think it was decent, like 30WRMSx4. Significantly more than (to the best of my knowledge) all head units on the market. Don't be fooled by max wattage either - always go by RMS, and anyone who tells you different is either a moron or trying to sell you something they'll make a lot of commission on, or both.

I never tried, but I think 6.5"s would fit all the way around (well, front doors & rear roof pods). The stock speakers are (to mine eyes) identical, save for the different part numbers, but the frames are the same exact diameter, including screw holes.

***STICK WITH ALPINE***, you'll be more than satisfied, just be careful of speaker-torturing distortion. It's not worth more than $50-$100 to replace the stock speakers UNLESS you have an external amp driving them. If you're not getting an amp, save yourself the dough and only replace the fronts.

Older XJs (pre-97 I think) came with the rear speakers mounted in the hatch.

Stock speakers may get louder with more power, but the clarity offered by aftermarket speakers, and therefore the quality of sound, is why you'd want to replace the speakers (and use an aftermarket head unit).

Last edited:
krakhedd said:
I never tried, but I think 6.5"s would fit all the way around (well, front doors & rear roof pods). The stock speakers are (to mine eyes) identical, save for the different part numbers, but the frames are the same exact diameter, including screw holes.

[\QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure there's no way that 6.5s will fit in the front doors unless you do some major cutting of the interior of the door...take the door panels off (it's not hard) before you buy anything and get measurements or ask your local stereo shop. they should have specs on all vehicles.

jeo said:
I'm pretty sure there's no way that 6.5s will fit in the front doors unless you do some major cutting of the interior of the door...take the door panels off (it's not hard) before you buy anything and get measurements or ask your local stereo shop. they should have specs on all vehicles.

It's the rears that are supposedly only 5.25". I fit a pair of really decent coaxial Eclipse 6.5"s in the front doors of my old Jeep, 6.5" Alpines in this one. Took 5.25" Boston Acoustics out of my old Sundance and put them in my first Jeep's rears. Old Jeep was a 99, this one's an 01.

You can fit 6.5" in the front and back just be careful about the depth. I have the Alpine Type-S all around in mine and had no problems putting them in. Do really consider an upgraded head unit however. They're not real power hungry like the Type-R's but a little more power and better sound quality never hurt.

i've got 6.5in type R's for my rears and they fit up in the sound bar thing with a little modding, then they factory covers fit over them...pretty clean, great sound...

-James

i have these all around in 99 xj

SPS-1729S.jpg

6.5 fill up rear like stated and fit fine in the front

hey, depending on how much power you are running to your speakers will base your speaker selection. if youre still running the stock head unit, replacing speakers wont really do any good. the stock head unit not only sends very little power to each speaker, it doesn't send "clean sound".

IF you are working with an aftermarket head unit, and just want a direct replacement of the stock speakers, the spr-17lp's or spr-17ls' wont be your choice for the front door as they are too deep and will either intefere with your window or door panel. I have 4 spr-17lp's and had to use a bracket to clear the window and i also had to cut out the door panel to fit the speakers. the speakers fit nicely in the roof though. I have 50 watts to each speaker, 200 watts to my alpine 10 inch sub, and it can get louder then i would like to listen to it and very very clear.

But there are 6 1/2 inch speakers that will fit in your front door. go to crutchfield.com and put your vehicle info in and see what 6 1/2" speakers fit your car. for my sound i wanted alpine all around, starting from head unit, amp, speakers and sub. I dont recommend buying from that online store though because it's a complete rip off. fill us in with a little more info. on what you have and what you're aiming for so we can help you out some more.

Last edited:
I don't think you should go with alpines enless your running an external amp, alpines want more power and the more you give them the better they will sound just like any speaker. I would go with some infinity reference 6.5 shallow mounts they are a good speaker clear highs decent lows and you won't spend a lot of money. Without a doubt get a new head unit for this I would go with alpine, or pretty much any on the market, they're all decent. If you do use your stock head unit you may under power the new speakers and you will just damage the speaker doing that. If you do have the infinity gold sound package then you can run any speaker you want on the stock head unit, or upgrade the head unit just for a newer look.

Crutchfield is a rip off.

DO NOT BUY SONY ANYTHING, especially head units. They are not worth the gold used in their circuit boards.

The upgraded stock sound system (Infiniti with external amps) should supply more than enough power to make aftermarket speakers sound great, although I think the speakers they come with sound pretty good to begin with.

crutchfield is only a rip if you know what you are doing, and don't need the technical support, the product advice. But if you are just starting out with car audio, crutchfield is the way to go because you get the master install instructions, if you run into a problem they are just a phone call away, and they have a pretty decent selection. Their are other car audio sites that sell cheaper but you don't get the same service.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UaADvt...earch=Alpine+VENDORID500&SearchDisplay=Alpine

I have 4 of these in my 98, The only real thing I had to do was re-drill some of the hole, in both the front and rear overhead soundbar. And if you can, on the fronts get them as close to center as possible, of the factory speaker grill will "slide" over them. Great sounding speaker, when I had the Alpine deck, but somebody in boston, needed more than I did :mad:. But they sound ok with the factory, but not great.

jfox21 said:
^^ did those fit in the rear?

Yes, actually the only thing that sucked about the rear install, was holding the speaker up to mark and drill the holes. Tough there is a little open space around the speaker surround, that I filled in with some dynmat. They are pretty powerful speaker with the right power source, I've actually had my rear dome light pop out when playing heavy hitting music.

Back