• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alpena MI?

sgtmack

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
It looks like I will be in Alpena the first two weeks of June. Are there any places to take the Jeep while I'm there? Or should I just plan on fishing for two weeks.

Neal

Well, I'm guessing from the lack of replies I'll be fishing for two weeks in June.:(

I used to live on the other side of the state, 5 years in Petoskey, grew up 50 miles south of there. At least on that side of the state, there's not much legal wheeling.

You might look up Drummond Island, off the eastern tip of da YooPee, eh. I've never been there, but I'm told it's more of a scenic drive.

Fishing? If you've got the weekend open, head up to the Seney Wildlife Refuge in the central Upper Peninsula. Too far? The Jordan River (empties into Lake Charlevoix at East Jordan on the west side of the state, a couple of hours from Alpena) is a natural river, no motors allowed. I've canoed the river a bunch of times, and nearly always see at least one fly fisherman going after trout.

I forgot to mention that the reason some of the DNR guys do that, esp. to out of staters, is they figure you won't bother to go back for a court date and will just pay the fine. If you do have a problem, don't argue with them, just find the nearest DNR office and present your case to them right there while having your copies of the ORV laws and your maps (which are provided by the DNR itself).

Thanks Timber! They have a trail 2 minutes from Alpena. And it's labeled for all size ORV's. It's probably not very challenging, but hey, a bad day wheeling beats a good day at work!

I might check out the Mounds on the way home. I've heard about it, but never knew where it was. I have 3 days to make the 7 hr drive home, so I think I could find time. And I'm driving right past it.

Neal

Here's my album from my trip to St. Helen, MI. http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/toledotimber/St Helen MI Trip May 2007/ Up near Alpena it's should be even hillier.
At the Mounds, unless you see someone driving through a puddle in front of you, get out and check them. The "puddle/Hellhole" that caused this
mounds10-06001.jpg

was only about 8' across, but I got buried up to the cowl (the clean area in the front).

EDIT: Sorry about the misplaced modifier. The clean area is what was buried.

Last edited:
Yeah, St. Helen Motorsport Area in St. Helen is nice and legal, and not TOO far from Alpena, there's also some tank trails in Grayling that are legal and super fun. The mounds is very very muddy; if you don't like mud, don't bother going there. St. Helen has some very fun hill climbs and some sand.

Anything that is unmarked(no ORV ROUTE sign) is illegal and DNR probably is there to ticket you and tell you it's not legal, and if it's marked ORV TRAIL, it's for ATVs, and if it's marked MCCCT, it's for dirt bikes, so don't be there. Anytime you see trails that run along powerlines, don't go there, they're illegal.

Wow.... reading that, it makes it seems like michigan wheeling sucks, but when you find the legal stuff, it's rather fun.

Here's a site, although it's titles ATV, all these places are Jeep friendly in the designated areas: http://www.michiganatv.com/scramble.php.

Have fun, and maybe check out the Trail Rides section on www.greatlakes4x4.com before you head up there, there may be some people doing a trail ride that you could jump on. Michigan's terrain is so dynamic, it's not worth going on a trail ride alone and risking getting stuck in the middle of nowhere.

If you do go to the St. Helen Motorsport area or the Mounds, you will need an ORV sticker. And as ddeadserious pointed out, full-size trails in Mich. are called "routes."

Yeah, those are the same as the ones from fishweb.com, but fishweb's are easier to read because instead of just using differently dotted red lines for the different classes of ORVs they're in entirely different colors.

Back