• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Albuquerque Update... forgot the number.

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
April will be two years here. A couple more observations:

The Jeep wave is very alive and well here. Pretty damned cool.

The off-road community is pretty solid here. When Mac and crew broke down on the way to KOH, a post on the local forum brought many offers of assistance.

A couple weeks ago, one of my counterman said a customer was asking what steering I have on my Jeep. Went to the parts counter, had a discussion with the customer. An XJ owner, similar build to mine. We talked a while, then went outside to talk more and look at my Jeep. He noticed I had a broken marker lense. He told me he has an extra and would bring it by sometime. A few days later, he pops in with a lense. Pretty damned cool. Asks if I need anything else.

Turns out, my AW4 is not shifting out of first very well. I purchased a TPS at work. Went to change it out. One screw was broken, the other was stripped. Told customer/new friend that I need a new throttle body, if he knew of any. He said he would look. Poof, a few days later I come downstairs from the district office and see a renix throttle body in my office.

Alex was great enough to give me his spare axles from his old Jeep. Have not needed them yet... but I do carry them when I am out on the trail. Thanks again, Alex.

My boss has an 07 Wrangler. Broke his spare tire carrier last weekend. ~$200 for a new one. I posted on the local forum. Within an hour, a guy replied he had one and would take a 12 pack of beer for it. Right on.

Sunday, going out wheeling with daughter. Find out a fellow wheeler was broke down. Trailer got arranged, met at trail head. Truck painstakingly loaded on to trailer... and extricated from the trail. Everybody pitching in.

I know many areas have similar tight knit 4X4 communities, and many of those exist within NAXJA. Just wanted to give praise to the Jeepers, 4X4'ers, and the 2wd pre-runner types here in Albuquerque.

I have to say, that is one of the main things I enjoy about this hobby. Seems like almost everyone is friendly and willing to help.

I really live where I live but the 4wd community is so spaced out here that you hardly meet new folks unless you're at one of the OHV parks. I've only been able to meet a handful of NAXJA members in person. With my busy life it's hard to find time to make these 9 hour trips to the events that are in my area. :(

I'd LOVE to spend some time out west to really enjoy the hobby.

Thanks again Glenn for the help in Feb. We aren't making the trip in 2012, but other years are possible. It was great to meet you and the help was off the charts.

Hopefully we can share a beer again...the circumstances and location were certainly odd :)

mac 'good people all over the country' gyvr

Anytime, Mac. Anytime.

No trip in 2012? KOH Qualifier here in Albuquerque in May. Wooooo Hooooo.

Thanks again Glenn for the help in Feb. We aren't making the trip in 2012, but other years are possible. It was great to meet you and the help was off the charts.

Hopefully we can share a beer again...the circumstances and location were certainly odd :)

mac 'good people all over the country' gyvr

I have to say, that is one of the main things I enjoy about this hobby. Seems like almost everyone is friendly and willing to help.

I really live where I live but the 4wd community is so spaced out here that you hardly meet new folks unless you're at one of the OHV parks. I've only been able to meet a handful of NAXJA members in person. With my busy life it's hard to find time to make these 9 hour trips to the events that are in my area. :(

I'd LOVE to spend some time out west to really enjoy the hobby.

I agree! I have buddies in the tuner(not ricers) and Street car scenes and its just a giant pissing contest(not so much with the Subie guys, they just have a lot of elitists). Yeah, we make fun of<insert any other offroad rig> guys but at the end of the day we are all enjoying the same thing and would gladly stop and help anyone in need on the trail.

Good post Glenn !

The GF and I took a trip to the SF area this fall and rented a stock JK for our trip to Yosemite (like I was going to use the asphalt roads...right). On the FRs we met a few folks, mostly Hunters who were scoping out spots. They seemed pretty reclusive. Then we slowed up for a guy in a Yoda pickup. We chatted for a bit. I asked him if everything was OK, and it was. He asked us where we were from, and what our destination was. He said "I'm so glad to meet people who are interested in this stuff too!" and he opened right up - told us the history of the area and told us all the cool things to look at on the way. We made Yosemite some 5 house later, after many rewarding detours :D

In my 51 years on this planet, I can say without hesitation that a recreation is just a chance to meet people, and it is the people you meet which makes the journey worth while.

-Ron

One of the things I love about this "hobby" is the willingness of most in it to help out. The other is the ability to enjoy it with my kids! Great post Glenn.

Back