• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AJ's vs. JCR rockrails

aj just redid his outer tube so they wont bend

oh thats a good idea. how long have they taken you guys to get your rails?

Got mine from JCR in 3 weeks. Just in time for WinterFest. Good thing too i used the hell out of them.

I have the JCR (jesus christ rocks :-|)Stage IIs. I didn't like the way the bolts tapped into the unibody so I welded them on. It is welded all they way around the frame plates and all along the pinch seams. The Jeep does NOT creak and moan when it gets twisted. The doors also open much easier too. The rails are plenty strong and have taken a severe beating.
Ben

IMG_2189.jpg

Dont rule out Proto-fab's,they rock!

I'm happy with my AJ's rails. I was very impressed with the build quality. No rock hits yet, but they've saved my doors from multiple dings, which is nice for a daily driver.

Click on images for larger verison

I have a set of Rocklizard Rails!!! These badboys have had the shit beat out of them! I have lifted both sides using highlift with no issues. They are just like the JCR rails except they use 7 pinchseam points and are sleaved to the uniframe! They have been on the Heep for some time now and are SOLID as can be!! This is what they look like http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/100_3007.jpg

Last edited:
I'm happy with my AJ's rails. I was very impressed with the build quality. No rock hits yet, but they've saved my doors from multiple dings, which is nice for a daily driver.

Click on images for larger verison

They do work great for saving you doors and mirrors( as long as you remember to fold them in :doh:) but i still managed to get a dent in my rear passenger door but I was kinda off camber.

I have AJ's Supersquares, the things are great. Make it easy to get up onto the roof and also to literally walk around the vehicle without toughing the ground. I have banged them off one or two rocks and not even a mark to prove it happened, they also make great for highlift points. IMO go with AJ's

AJ's here. He was out of them when I ordered so he special ordered some metal and had em done in 4 days and shipped. When installed I went to Winterfest 09 with my (stock except for rails) Cherokee and if I didn't have 56k, I'd show you pictures of how well they worked. Great product, my vote for AJ!

I got a set of AJ's SuperRails a few years back (before gas prices went up & I was still driving the Jeep), but never got around to installing them until this week. I ran into the "short pinch rail" issue on the driver's side, but it turned out after a bit of measuring that the pinch rail wasn't any shorter in the front than the rear- the body panel actually dropped down an 1/8" or so in the front compared to the rear! A bit of persuading with a dead blow mallet made it possible to get the pinch seam bolts in a spot that would go through metal instead of beneath it; once that was cleared up everything went smoothly.

One thing that you may want to do no matter what rails you get is to use some "White-Out" (typewriter correction fluid) to paint in each hole to be drilled once you've got the units clamped where you want them. It dries fast, has a short brush built into the bottle top that will let you get into the tight spots behind the rails and makes it very easy to see exactly where your center punch mark is for drilling. I also used a 90 deg. scribe to mark the circle of each hole once I'd painted them in- there was no question as to where my holes needed to be! Although the pinch seam holes were visually center punched, I used a transfer punch on all of the larger bolt holes to make sure that they were dead center of the hole. The punch marks and scribing show up well against the bright background provided by the white-out. BTW, I've always kept a bottle of it in the shop for use on timing marks; it stands out great under a timing light and is easy to wipe off once you're done with the job.

OK. I CHECKED OUT THE ROCKLIZARD SITE AND HERES THERE SPECS.

specs for rocklizard:

• 2x2x3/16" with 45* angled ends for Slider Rails
  • 2x1x1/8" tubing for the four triangulated unibody mounting arms
  • Pinch seam mount with (7) 5/16" bolts per side
  • round 1.75" x .120 wall outer tube
What i like about them:
: They look to be very strong. and the extra triangulation seems to be a great protection for side impacts.
And they dont seem to be too off the wall when compared to AJ's or JCR's designs

What i dont like about them:
: "2x1x1/8 tubing for the four triangulated unibody mounting arms"

Weight is not an issue for me, but i like strength. even though the extra metal might help make up for the thin walled steel, id perfer 3/16th
Oh and the price tag doesnt agree with my College student budget.

Last edited:
Im hoping I can cover the majority of info on rockrails through this thread so others can search and find this and hopefully this will help them.

It should be a big help since you layed out all the spec's for them already, i wasn't even ready for sliders and now i want some, i was planning on the JCR when i am ready

Warn Rock Sliders

Brand: Warn
Features:

• Rocker guards are made from 3/16" plate steel
  • Bolt securely onto the Jeep's body tub
  • Rounded edge slides off rocks and reduces hang ups
  • Black powder coat finish
  • Some drilling required
Ok. so heres what i found on warn's rock sliders. and heres a link to a review about them. All seems pretty good, but still out of my current budget.

http://www.jeepreviews.com/jeep-parts-reviews/171/warn-rock-sliders/

AJ's here. He was out of them when I ordered so he special ordered some metal and had em done in 4 days and shipped. When installed I went to Winterfest 09 with my (stock except for rails) Cherokee and if I didn't have 56k, I'd show you pictures of how well they worked. Great product, my vote for AJ!

Your rails worked great. Your tires, however, not so much! :D

Back