• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

airsoft pellets

BruceB83 said:
Ok...this is cool but I am confused on one thing. Using 30x9.5's for example, not all of that size tires will be the same weight. Obviously a street tire will not weigh as much as a very aggressive off-road tire. So, how can they tell you how much weight in bb's to put in the tire if all the tires are different weights? Maybe I'm missing something about balancing but...:dunno:

The differences in weight will not be that extreme, and the added weight should be more or less equal on all sides - so it balances out.

Well, I just got done doing this to my rig. 34" LTBs for reference. Previously I didn't have any balancing done at all, and it vibrated pretty good on the highway. Took them down to the shop, spun them on the balancer and put whatever weight it said in BBs in the tire and put them back on.

I can't really tell a difference at lower speeds, but it is actually worse between 60-65, which is where I usually cruise. I would rather not break them back down and put lead weights on, but it vibrates worse now. Of course, it could just be the LTBs being way out of round, but I figured the spin balancer would have been correct.

Goodyear MT/R's weigh 46 lbs in 30's....a Yokohama Geolander Highway tire weighs 36 lbs. I figured that weight difference would be a material amount. I see what you're saying that the added weight is equal on all sides but I still thought that would be enough of a difference to matter. I guess I don't fully understand the physics of the matter. Thanks though!

TellicoReadyXJ said:
Well, I just got done doing this to my rig. 34" LTBs for reference. Previously I didn't have any balancing done at all, and it vibrated pretty good on the highway. Took them down to the shop, spun them on the balancer and put whatever weight it said in BBs in the tire and put them back on.

I can't really tell a difference at lower speeds, but it is actually worse between 60-65, which is where I usually cruise. I would rather not break them back down and put lead weights on, but it vibrates worse now. Of course, it could just be the LTBs being way out of round, but I figured the spin balancer would have been correct.

You did it wrong. Use the chart posted in this thread and try again.

BruceB83 said:
Goodyear MT/R's weigh 46 lbs in 30's....a Yokohama Geolander Highway tire weighs 36 lbs. I figured that weight difference would be a material amount. I see what you're saying that the added weight is equal on all sides but I still thought that would be enough of a difference to matter. I guess I don't fully understand the physics of the matter. Thanks though!

What are the differences in ply count on the tires? The chart factors that in as well. Wonder if that is the difference in weight.

BruceB83 said:

I can't say that i'm 100% on the physics myself, and i really havent experimented with different weights all that much. I started off with 1 1000 pellet bottle per tire and it worked wonderfully, so I left it at that. I chose that based on being easy - i got a 20 pack of the bottles on ebay for about $12. ;)

Hey, if it works...it works right! I'll leave figuring out the physics of the matter to a physics major.

TellicoReadyXJ said:
I was following this thread on Pirate and it made sense to use the amount of weight you would normally add when spin balancing. If I get a chance I may add more up to what the chart says and see what happens.

I guess that idea makes sense too.

I think this is one of those things where you have to use one or the other as a starting point, and fine tune from there.

anyone have an opinion on the guy saying that his grandad used antifreeze in his tires? that seems like it would work and i cant think of any adverse effects.

im new here too by the way

WheelinJR said:
I guess that idea makes sense too.

I think this is one of those things where you have to use one or the other as a starting point, and fine tune from there.

If you think about how centrifugal force works, you would use less weight to balance out the tire if the weight is on the outer edge of the tire compared to mounting it to the wheel.

jeep/bronco said:
anyone have an opinion on the guy saying that his grandad used antifreeze in his tires? that seems like it would work and i cant think of any adverse effects.

im new here too by the way
Grandpa used old tires in the day when they needed to be aired up more often. All this air added water from poorly maintained gas station compressors,. The water would settle to the bottom of the tire and freeze so they would use antifreeze in them to stop them freezing into a solid unbalanced block of ice. Trucks and tractors also filled tires with antifreeze or corrosive calcium cabonate to add weight to the tires. This is still done today with farm tractors but wheel weights mounted to the rim is the prefered method. A big tractor tire filled with calcium or water can hurt or kill you when it falls on you during maintnence so don't let a tractor tire and rim fool you if you are unsure.

Now... say I were to put in more than was needed, would that mess anything up?

How does this work when you rarely drive over 35 to 45mph? I would assume that it would not rotate fast enough to make the BB's work. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am about to install some new 35" Mickey MTZ and would like to try the BB thing since the tire places up here charge about $10 per tire to balance.

mikes offroad said:
How does this work when you rarely drive over 35 to 45mph? I would assume that it would not rotate fast enough to make the BB's work. Please correct me if I am wrong. I am about to install some new 35" Mickey MTZ and would like to try the BB thing since the tire places up here charge about $10 per tire to balance.

I run them in my 33" TrXus MT's and daily drive. My max speed going to work and back is 45mph. My tires run smooth from 0-70mph. At that point I notice a little wobble.

It's not so much the speed not being fast enough, but moreso they need a few extra seconds to balance out. But for me personally, I notice nothing at low speeds.

Back