• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airflow vs ARB Safari Snorkel for 96 Cherokee?

Cessnapilot89

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,

I am looking into installing a snorkel on my 96 Cherokee classic and was wondering which was the better set up, The Airflow or the ARB for use on a 96.

Snorkels are ugly as hell but if you think you need a snorkel that you can see I would go with the airflow. Arb is a lot bulkier looking. Looks a lot worse imo. Both do the same job.

Last edited:
The Airflow rides higher on the fender. If you are planning on cutting out your front fenders this may be worth considering.

Check ebay for cheap Chinese knock offs. Less than half the price for the same thing. This guy is good to work with: amoirenickel001 ( http://www.ebay.com/usr/amoirenickel001 )

Very service oriented, communicative.

Have you considered the cowl intake, they can be home fabricated at a very reasonable price. Just Google it on YouTube for all the details without the cost and being ugly.

Something else to consider: The Airflow has a shorter run to the stock airbox as it enters from the rear whereas the Safari Snorkel has a hose that runs to the front of the fender then has to loop down and back up from underneath in order to enter the front of the stock airbox.

I have a Safari snorkel. 150HP in the rear wheels. I didnt measure before. But seems pretty good. 280Nm of torque after 1800RPM if my memory does not fail. 3.07 and 31".

Cowl snorkel is the answer. A lot of people think they're going to get water in there but the answer there is If you're going in water over your Cowl you'll have more problems to worry about than hydrolocking your engine. Floating down the river would be my biggest concern haha

I've run both ARB and airflow.

The ARB is a much better unit IMO. It hugs the body better and is built out of higher quality materials. Since you have a 96 you don't have to worry about relocating your washer fluid bottle. One big BIG issue with the airflow is you have to cut a hole through some pretty important structural components in your inner fender reducing the strength there a lot.

As far as cowl induction. Meh, I guess if you can live with the noise and the ridiculously small air cleaner, go for it.

on my 90 xj I had the safari snorkel and the loop just before the air box looks like a peatrap on a pluming drain I assumed it was to collect rain water. I also noticed that when at hwy speed I was getting a lot better mpg's, I can only deduct from the ram air affect.
Not that this was asked just my .02

Back