• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airflow snorkle vs. K &N Fipk

yeah, that probably would be the best compromise in airflow and space savings. with a metal brake, you could probably build a nice rectanglular box that would orient itself like the round canister setup in the links i posted above. and if you did build in the offset on the TB side, it would eliminate a lot of the sharp 90 deg bends.

hmmmm. that's got me thinking now... i would just need to find someone that could weld the 3" pipe to the box...

isnt the canister you have round.. I though you sent me a picture months ago.... could be wrong. I am wondering if I used a k and n if I would lose airflow cause of the solid end cap vs the intense performance hollow end.....

cool, just noticed that DPG offroad is using a pic of my Jeep and Snorkel to show its fitment of the bushwakers and airflow.. I thought I hadn't sent him a picture to illustrate that when they were getting ready to carry them.. guess I forgot. Thats kinda cool!!

Last edited:
You probably know what you need to but I'll chime in on my experiance to help further.

I originally had a FIPK K&N cone filter style setup and went to the airflow snorkle with the stock airbox. I had a K&N drop in filter before swapping it for a Frame airhog-no change noticed BTW. Anyway, after installing the snorkle I noticed an increase in power and economy on the freeway. Whether it being from the cooler air coming in or the "ram air" effect I dont know. I have consistantly gotten 2mpg better since on freeway trips. Around town Im not sure because I drive crappy and the traffic varies alot here. I have had this snorkle for quite a while and have been impressed with its performance and definatly its durability. I have smashed it into several trees without more than just the top popping off.

twisted_ed said:
isnt the canister you have round.. I though you sent me a picture months ago.... could be wrong. I am wondering if I used a k and n if I would lose airflow cause of the solid end cap vs the intense performance hollow end.....
yeah, the canister setup is round. i was just saying that it might be easier to make a more square'ish box if you were making one by hand.

Yah I was going to go with square but then I thought if I got a 5" I.D. pipe and either used that and weld end caps on it or cut a couple of 1 inch rings out of it I could form sheet metal around it. I have thought about making a mockup and taking it into the local plastic shop here and have them weld up a plastic version if it wouldnt cost too much. I dont know what the pastic welder here costs. either way I think using a peice of thin wall pipe the right diameter to fit the filter would work out pretty good.

speaking of Intense Performance, does anyone know what happened to them? Their website seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur. Anyone know where I might find a similar product?

So I got the snorkle but I have one question? What is the 90 degree elbow for? Does it attach to the inlet from the snorkle to the flex tube? I'm confused cause on the write up on gojeep I just see the flex hose connected from the inlet to the airbox no elbow used.

mine came with and elbow, i never used it. I dont know what its for, I kept it but I called Gibson, or I should say I emailed them about it and THEY phones me to tell me what it was for, and apparently its a generic parts kit for all makes and models of their snorkel that is placed in your order. I could see it comming off the snorkel so the flex tube goes straight into the airbox but I didnt do that

what I found that helped was I folded the tamplate in the crease line all the way along and placed my square into the fold then placed the square in the crease on the fender then folded the paper into the fender and tape it on the fender. thatway to line the crease up perfect

when you get a hole saw, try to get one a little bigger than specified. I got a 3" when a 3.25 would have been far better. and angle it down a bit. I still needed to use a die grinder for about an hour to make it fit

i also wondered about the 90 deg. elbow. i was searching around a lot before my install about what it was for. i actually found a few pics of some AUS xj's (diesel i think cause the airbox was on the driver's side) and they actually went into the side of the airbox - under where our computers are mounted. they used the 90 to transition from coming forwards to turning into the airbox.

twisted_ed said:
when you get a hole saw, try to get one a little bigger than specified. I got a 3" when a 3.25 would have been far better. and angle it down a bit. I still needed to use a die grinder for about an hour to make it fit
x2 on that!

Back