• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air conditioning recharge

WOW, Have I entered the twilight zone here, or maybe Interstate 60? :shiver::dunno:

Many of you have a lot to learn about A/C systems. I will leave it at that.
There is an excellent forum for getting up to speed on the different refrigerant and hardware issues (and there are differing oppinions on some of these topics even for the experts):

http://www.autoacforum.com/categories.cfm?catid=20&STARTPAGE=2

Freeze 12 is bad idea (search it in the forum above for all the GOREy details, LOL). You can still buy R-12 on Ebay for resale with a resale sales tax certificate. IF your system has R-12 (mostly pre 1992) Stick with R-12 unless you are replacing a major component (like a compressor), in which case I would replace everything in the AC system (just get it over with) and covert to R-134a.

R-134a is notorious for leaking past the o'rings in the off season as the o'rings dry out even on fairly new systems, at the rate of about one can a year. It is best to run the A/C (R-134a systems) at least once a month in the off season to relube the o'rings at the hose connection ends where it leaks. This re-swells the o'rings so they seal properly.

If you are leaking more than a can per year you should find the leak and fix it before refilling the system.

Gauges are a great investment. Harbour Freight has full gauge and hose sets for R-134a on sale frequently for $35.:sunshine:

Back