• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Front Bumper musings/questions

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
I've spent a good bit of time in the past week or two combing through threads here and on JU, as well as a number of manufacturer sites looking at aftermarket bumpers.

The time has come for me to decommission my Rusty's tow hook brackets for something, well, that isn't half an inch from actually ripping into two pieces. Since I've been abusing the OEM bumper's endcaps, it was suggested that I go for a new bumper and get my front recovery points up out of, as Egon would call it, "Bitch Slap" territory. It was also suggested that if there was ever a chance I might want to add a winch some day, go for a winch bumper and be done with it (do it right/do it once)...

Which has lead me to search, read, and browse threads and websites for bumpers until my head was ready to explode. There's a lot of nice-looking ones out there, and some that are stupid expensive (Warn, anyone?). There's even some really slick ideas too - Rock Hard 4x4 has a simple front bumper with a bolt-on winch plate that really looks nice and slick, but I have a couple of issues with its lines and the fact that there's no place to put my driving lights.

Since I live in NJ, I need to run a front license plate. I also have a set of Hella 550 (rectangular) driving lights that I want to keep mounted, which means I need a place to put them. I'm also not doing a winch this minute, and I don't know what my long-range plans might be. Lastly, since the rig's still fairly stock-looking and I do take it to work occasionally, I want something that looks like it was intended to look good as well as be strong.

Many of the winch bumpers look nice, but also look to me like if I don't have a winch acutally on it, it's going to look as if something's missing. Also, since I'm not too lifted right now (2"), something that sticks out that far looks like it might negatively impact my approach angle.

Interestingly enough, while I didn't initially think I'd care for the look of the OR-Fab unit on my truck, I found pics of a bone-stock 97+ buried in deep in the JU XJ forum with the OR-Fab non-winch model on it, and it actually looked decent. Of course, their winch model is rather pricey even before you add the bolt-on brushguard hoop.

From looking at the JCR bumpers (BTW, does anyone else find it hard to tell the difference between the different "stages"?), it got me to thinking that perhaps a good stout bumper with both shackle tabs and integrated receiver might better meet my needs - not as bulky/incomplete looking as a dedicated winch bumper, lower cost (to offset adding a light bar or tabs for the 550s), but I could use a locking hitch pin and receiver insert for the front plate, and be able to swap on a multi-mount winch on in the future if I wanted.

Thoughts?

JCR is good peeps. I just ordered their Stage 3 rear, Pre runner front winch bumper, and stage 2 sliders. Good people to talk to, good solid bumpers. Look into their prerunner front. It's got the receiver, hoop for your lights and d-ring tabs.

It sounds like you've got the bases covered. Now it's time to decide.

IMO, I'd go for the dedicated winch bumper. Even without the winch, the locals will think it's cool that you "could" mount one up. It's up to you to decide what your plans are for your jeep. I know once the ball starts rolling it doesn't stop so you might as well prepare for what lies ahead.

Just keep an eye on the mounting points and general construction. The big three are AJs, JCR, and my personal favorite, Rigidco.

why not just fab one? i built mine out of scrap steel and its held up to many bashings, its now getting reworked for more front end protection and a winch platecost so far? 2 30 racks and a pizza for my buddy who welds better then i can

just stay away from nates4x4. spend alittle more and go with aj or rigidco. they are more money, but you will be happier in the end.

why not just fab one?

Simple - I don't weld.

Thanks for the tips so far, all - I have to admit the JCR idea is growing on me. I think my next battery of search (for tomorrow evening after work) will be to make my eyeballs bleed researching the pros and cons of receiver-mount winches, to see if that's really the approach I want to take.

In the mean time, a follow-on question: for those of you running winch bumpers in states that require a front license plate, how/where do you mount the front plate?

Look up hidden winch. IIRC it hides the winch with a licens plate. Worst case you could zip tie it to the fairlead, and remove it when in use.

As far as the receiver mount winches, from what I've read they wrok fine and allow front and back winching and it's also a pretty good theft deterrent if the winch is in the house. The only negative I know of is that they suck for approach angle.

JCR is good peeps. I just ordered their Stage 3 rear, Pre runner front winch bumper, and stage 2 sliders. Good people to talk to, good solid bumpers. Look into their prerunner front. It's got the receiver, hoop for your lights and d-ring tabs.

X2 I love my stage 2 sliders, they are STOUT. They make my jeep look more aggresive and no more cars dinging my doors! :D

Rob, I remember seeing somewhere in a online catalog about a license plate mount that snaps onto the roller fairlead. Maybe Quadratek or 4WP or JC Whit.????? I haven't been hammered on it yet, but will worry more about it when I get the fixit.

Rob,
I had all the same concerns/criteria as you, with the exception of the license plate.
I looked and called manufactures for months.
In the end, I went with RigidCo and could not be happier.
It is slim and trim, the tappers and angles are uber functional, and fit the boxy Cherokee lines/design very well.
The mounting system, chassis and steering box reinforcement is second to none.
I've attached a couple links fto pictures of mine for your reference.

http://members.cox.net/huddy31/LT%20frnt%203-4.jpg
http://members.cox.net/huddy31/008.jpg
http://members.cox.net/huddy31/005.jpg

Good luck making your decision.

I'm surprised this one doesnt come up on here more... maybe there are more in the bronco crowd... but, by dad has one of these on his and i think it is dang sexy... and he only has 3" of lift. it does stick out a little bit, but it really blends quite nicely and doesnt end up looking like it has a huge nose. i have the tube version, which does stick out farther, and without a winch it did look kinda goofy for a while. while these might be a little more expensive, they are really beefy and very well made. i took a good sized deer going about 45mph last winter and i have no doubts that it saved my jeep. it also has hi lift jack points, and tow hook mounting points on the top which have come in handy more than once.

all in all i guess its all personal opinion, but there is my .02

I have a custom bumper from Detours like this one:

patrick.jpg

If you call Mark he will make you one, but it's not listed on the website. I think it would look good with or without a winch.

Back