• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket electric fans

MachineMan said:
Hi, That Dual Derale fan set-up is mine. It totals 4000cfm and works great. However its dificult to fit and pulls a lot of amps. I had to trim the plastic shroud it came with a lot to fit, especially near the sterring box. I notched the top to fit over the radiator top plate. Vertically it cover the entire radiator plus about an inch or so more. Horizontally it comes up a bit short but that works out becuase I needed the room on the steering box side.

Each fan will need it own relay a 10ga power wire directly to the battery becuase the amp draw is so high. I kept blowing fuses when the fans kicked on until I put a 40amp in there. Those 40amp fuse are hard to find. Running draw is probably around 20amp or so but it won't stay on that long unless your righ has other overheating issues.

I have the same Derale setup as well. Great fan far as the CFM's, etc... One thing I did that has made a huge difference was to get an intelligent controller for it from http://www.dccontrol.com/60info.htm for it. Makes a huge difference in stopping huge surges and spikes on the electrical system. Prior to it I did buy a hi-amp alternator, but I now wonder with this controller if it was necessary.

I have some type of summit fan in my daily driven stock 91 cherokee and so far I haven't even got the temp to hit 210 yet. I have driven it over 8 hours straight and had no problems. I just got the jeep two weeks ago so we will see. Maybe I will take some pics but it is nothing special.---------Kyle

herreraxto said:
can i use dual stock fans i think i have a spare one
Wont be enough CFM as only pulls around half of what you need in addition to the stock one aready there.

53guy said:
yes, that is what i meant, in parallel. So are the majority of people using the stock fan at the same time? Or should it be just a back up like it is in stock form? Thayer, did you install bolts in place of the studs on your stock fan pulley?

Stock fan plus a 2000+ CFM additonal fan. Must run them at the same time. If the Cherokee has a deeper radiator like the TJ etc, you could get away with one that pulled enough CFM as you would get good coverage with a shroud. There is just no way to build the correct shaped shroud with a singe fan in the XJ to work correctly with a single fan.

MGrobe said:
I have the same Derale setup as well. Great fan far as the CFM's, etc... One thing I did that has made a huge difference was to get an intelligent controller for it from http://www.dccontrol.com/60info.htm for it. Makes a huge difference in stopping huge surges and spikes on the electrical system. Prior to it I did buy a hi-amp alternator, but I now wonder with this controller if it was necessary.

http://www.dccontrol.com/kitsr1.htm

Back