• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Control Arms

sleeperjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have mutilated my stock lower control arms on my 89 XJ with a 4" lift. I was wondering what people suggested as far as replacing them with something that can take the abuse, but isn't over the top expensive. Also I was wondering if I should get longer control arms or stick with the stock length. If I get longer lower arms, to I need longer upper arms as well?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I'd recommend adjustable arms, I run bds adjustibles upper and lower with flex ends

Yup I would shoot for adjustable arms as well...

These companies are all great for control arms:

RE
JKS
Currie

Im sure there are more those just come to mind right away.

Also rock krawler makes some good adjustable control arms, with the same krawler joint and bushing as there long arms. tellico 4x4 sells them for $169.00 lowers. $ 134.00 uppers.

I have RE adjustable upper and lower on my '92, stock height. The salesman I talked to when I ordered them didn't know if they would adjust down to stock length. but screwed all the way in, they were perfect. I was interested strictly in experimenting with handling, and since they have that spherical joint at the frame end, half of the deflection allowed by rubber bushings is gone. With literally half the lateral play gone from the front end, the Jeep is not so Jeepy! Almost all of the normal wander is gone. I had been experimenting with urethane bushings, and while they tightened up the handling, I didn't like the extra shimmy or bounce, as the energy of hitting a bump or other road event needed to go somewhere, and the hard bushings would store it, then release it. Think of a Superball. The RE arms have the spherical end, but at the axle end is a bushing of about stock compliance, offering good energy absorption. The only thing I've noticed is that you need stiff shocks, as a lot of the vertical stiction is gone, as the spherical joints, which offer excellent articulation, have virtually no friction in their vertical axis. This lends itself to a floppy feeling front end. I have Monroe Sensa Tracks on it, much better than the somewhat soft Bilsteins, and it behaves well enough. I'm going to experiment with stock uppers, and maybe come to a happy medium between ride and handling.

I like to run fixed lowers with adjustable uppers - that way you can adjust pinion angle, but don't have threads to drag over the rocks.

I've got about 7" of lift with RE drop brackets, RE fixed lowers, and RE adjustable uppers. IMO you can't get much better for a 'bolt on' setup, but if I were to redo it now would give serious consideration to the new Rough Country arms.

if I were to redo it now would give serious consideration to the new Rough Country arms.

why? yeah, theyre cheap but theyre the same as the old teraflex and tomken ones, looks like theyll bind since they only allow for flex in an axis that is exactly perpendicular to the arm. RE arms or any other with a JJ or heim type end will allow for the slight angles the factory arms are placed at, and have a much greater range of motion.

why? yeah, theyre cheap but theyre the same as the old teraflex and tomken ones, looks like theyll bind since they only allow for flex in an axis that is exactly perpendicular to the arm. RE arms or any other with a JJ or heim type end will allow for the slight angles the factory arms are placed at, and have a much greater range of motion.

Obviously you haven't looked at the new ones. ;) They have a flex joint on one end similar to an RE arm.

Ok. You haven't seen them and I'm not finding them because they aren't released yet, I saw prototypes. They are coming, but haven't released yet. If you're going to buy arms today, I'd buy RE or Currie. Once the revised RC arm ships, I'd probably go that route.

Hmmm...

well I just put an order in for the lady to get me a set of RK uppers for Christmas. Their lowers look pretty good as well, but they can wait a lil bit. And ya can't beat the price. Any word on when the new RC arms will be released?

I dont know how offficial the date is, so I probably shouldnt say - but very soon.

I used to run Pro-Comp lower arms, (and still run them in a very modified state) and they never got bent, and worked as good as any other poly bushing at each end joint...

There are plenty of quality ca's out there.. the RK adjustable upper and lowers may be the best bang for your buck ca's on the market. there bushings and crawler joints seem to hold up well and the arms themselves are solid steel. and at a very good price to boot.. my .02

Back