• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aem f/ic update

First try zeroing all the maps out. I don't think the O2 map will piss off the PCM that much. It will usually start to miss and make noise first if the o2s are out of wack. Do you have an OBDII scanner than can read live data?

Well I zero the timing and O2 maps I can't touch the fuel or she will run richer than google.
Here is a video of the stall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBAPLbSrh6Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Though last night I made a most epic mistake... While fondiling my battery terminals my ratchet slipped out of my had while on the positive and I grounded it directly to the ECM case. Nice big spark and pop. Started her up sounds like she's running on 5 cylinders and smell super rich. Sounds horrible too. I'll have to take a video of that tonight. I took the ECM case off to look for burnt marks found nothing. But unfortunately I know this means nothing. I do have the ECM from the xj but it is Cali emissions with a aw4 and the tj is federal emissions with a 32rh. I used the one scanner in live mode after this but only thing that I could see which isn't saying much is my tps at full throttle key on engine off only reaches 75% I am at a loss anymore. I feel this may have become past my skill level. But any suggestions will be tried and are welcome.

If any one is in the area you are more then welcome to take a peek and play with it

I really don't think that is the FIC doing that. Its like something just cut fuel or spark.

Why will it run rich if you 0 out the FIC fuel's map? Your injectors should be sized well enough to allow the PCM to adjust and pull fuel out via STFT and LTFT.

Well I figured out one problem sink can now check the other problems. Umm it was running on only 3 cylinders because some retard forgot to plug 3 fuel injectors back in..... Lol

Now that I have zeroed the O2 map it hasn't stalled yet we shall see what she dose in the next few days.

And if I bypass the fic the jeep runs rich withthe 36lb injectors can tell you why it dosnt compensate at one point I did have my O2 sensor monitors turned off on the ECM but I has since been turned back on

H-townxj, Can you post a pic of your engine. Thanks.

Well I figured out one problem sink can now check the other problems. Umm it was running on only 3 cylinders because some retard forgot to plug 3 fuel injectors back in..... Lol
I sthat anew fuel saving mod?
Now that I have zeroed the O2 map it hasn't stalled yet we shall see what she dose in the next few days.
Was it stalling with in a minute after starting it? What was the PCM seeing for O2 voltage? That O2 sensor feature really doesn't work on ours.
And if I bypass the fic the jeep runs rich withthe 36lb injectors can tell you why it dosnt compensate at one point I did have my O2 sensor monitors turned off on the ECM but I has since been turned back on
The PCM would have a hard time working with the 36lb injectors any how. Dialing them down via the FIC makes it easier on the PCM. What is the injector duty % at WOT?

I'll have to look at one of my logs later so i can let you know onthe duty cycle. Im honestly looking and jumping back down to my 26lb injectors.

See I thought 3 cylinders would be fuel saving.... But the jeeo wouldn't run lol.

Ya it usually would die within the 1-2 minute range

Some pics

DF2C222F-085B-4468-9F41-98860DC0AC6B-9517-00000C4436CAC4E5.jpg

Intercooler
8f2f3b81.jpg

F12CC29F-168C-47AF-9610-657F3F22A685-9517-00000C44BBF4BA7E.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to look at one of my logs later so i can let you know onthe duty cycle. Im honestly looking and jumping back down to my 26lb injectors.
The 36lbs do seem a bit large. You want to see a duty cycle under max load of 80%. Significantly lower and the injectors are too large.
Ya it usually would die within the 1-2 minute range
Thats about the time it takes the PCM to go from open loop on start to closed loop and start reading the O2 sensors. What did the AFR gauge say at this time when it stalled? I'm wondering if the PCM was making it too rich or too lean to stall it out, or just completely shutting the injectors off.

At idle afr is about 14:1 under boost about 12.

I'll check my logs when it get home if it's too low I'll swap em

Unfortunately I have no idea I have a bad Wideband sensor and have not pickup a new one yet. It reads an entire 3 points leaner than any other persons I have borrowed even the tune shop. So i currently have not a damn clue of my AFR just reference to when I got the tune done and these issue where still present

Does the wideband you have now have a calibration feature? I know on mine I need to do a free air calibration every so often. Even then it was never off by anything noticeable.

The AEM has no calibration exept a set voltage input map for the hook up to the fic. I've been looking closely at the ngk Wideband as a replacement

The NGK comes highly recommended. I have a Daytona sensors unit that had been pretty durable. Its not nice looking and their new ones look even worse, but it works and has stood up through one engine failure(coolant and oil out the exhaust), several cam break-ins, and 31,142 miles. It can also be hooked up to the FIC. Their software isn't that slick, but it works and really isn't a problem when you hook it into the FIC.

Well 2 days now with no stalling after zeroing out the O2 maps. Well see what happens.

Well if nobody knew the avenger superchargers kits are smog legal in
California for 1987-2001 4.0 Cherokees. You may have to cut the hood but it is carb legal must use stock air filter housing or a carb approved intake. But perd the carb website and the EO paper work it is legit. I know the kit has some short falls but for those xj owners that are looking for carb legal it is a step in the direction. EO-D556

As well as kennebells kit. And paxton has a few superchargers that are also approved for jeeps in California with a 4.0 just have to read the fine print carefully of you want it to be legit

Last edited:
Back