• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on Getting this Weld Nut Out. After Leaf Bolt Removal

Right on, sounds good, so I am not worried then on the strength. Seems a lot of folks say the same thing. Some say they have this done on a Jeep they just wheel and it has never failed.

***MAJOR TIP FOR REMOVING STUCK BOLTS
This may not be news to some.

I needed to remove the leaf shackles to reuse them. These bolts were frozen. I soaked them in PB Blaster etc. Then out of frustration I contacted an Army Buddy of mine who was a Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic. He told me to use a wax candle and a torch.

IT WORKED LIKE MAGIC!

Here's what I did:

Took the cheapo butane torch and heated the left side of the nut. On the right side of the nut I pressed the candle against the base of the nut head. It melts and goes into the threads because of the heat and expansion. I was then able to break it loose with two sockets! I am amazed and slapping myself with how well that worked.

I probably could have saved myself some time and possibly this broken bolt.

He explained to me that the wax ends up acting like a lubricant and I used about 1/4 of a candle. His advice was to heat it for a bit then start melting. He said it's an old timers trick that they used on Deuce and a Half trucks all the time.

So yeah, worked better than PB Blaster. Just get it really hot and start melting.

Of course this comes after everything else, that's the way Murphy's Law works I guess.

Right on, sounds good, so I am not worried then on the strength. Seems a lot of folks say the same thing. Some say they have this done on a Jeep they just wheel and it has never failed.

***MAJOR TIP FOR REMOVING STUCK BOLTS
This may not be news to some.

I needed to remove the leaf shackles to reuse them. These bolts were frozen. I soaked them in PB Blaster etc. Then out of frustration I contacted an Army Buddy of mine who was a Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic. He told me to use a wax candle and a torch.

IT WORKED LIKE MAGIC!

Here's what I did:

Took the cheapo butane torch and heated the left side of the nut. On the right side of the nut I pressed the candle against the base of the nut head. It melts and goes into the threads because of the heat and expansion. I was then able to break it loose with two sockets! I am amazed and slapping myself with how well that worked.

I probably could have saved myself some time and possibly this broken bolt.

He explained to me that the wax ends up acting like a lubricant and I used about 1/4 of a candle. His advice was to heat it for a bit then start melting. He said it's an old timers trick that they used on Deuce and a Half trucks all the time.

So yeah, worked better than PB Blaster. Just get it really hot and start melting.

Of course this comes after everything else, that's the way Murphy's Law works I guess.

Thats a great idea with the candle. Never heard that one before.

Matt

Back