• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on Chevy 4.3 into 88 XJ

AlabamaDan

NAXJA Forum User
Hello! I'm looking for some advice.

I found a 90 XJ that is being parted out. It has a 4.3l V6 out of a camaro installed. Has Holly Carb and hi rise manifold in it. Cranks and runs well. I'm thinking of swapping this into my 88 XJ with a bad I6. Anyone have experiences with this swap and how it will work?

Will the stock AW4 trans bolt up to it? He has a trans, looks like a stock AW4, but wants alot for it since was just rebuilt. I could cut my price in 1/2 by using my stock trans.

Any advice is appreciated.

If it really is an AW4, then yes most likely. Chances are its a 700R4. I know there is a member over at cherokeeforum 4.3 XJ ( I believe) that has done a S-10 4.3L swap with his 86.
Are you sure that the engine is not a 3.4L? As IIRC 4.3L did not come in a camaro.
All else fails, buy it complete, pull it all together, and sell your stocker?
I would find another I6 to swap in or even a V8.

alot of work for a motor swap that gonna get you minimal gains

A guy up here did the 4.3L swap about 10 years ago and it worked well. I would can the carb and go with a simple TBI setup from an Astro van.

I did mean 3.4L.

I was looking for another Jeep 4.0L and found this. I'm not familiar with the 3.4L and wasn't planning on such a swap, but I did like the simplicity of an engine without EFI, computer, etc.

Oh, and this jeep was totally trashed. Mine has a straight body and interior and runs good - except for the motor. I would like to have a stroker, but...

3.4L GM V6 is a good stock replacement for a 86 and down Xj that had a 2.8L, and many GM vehicles as well. Definitely not worth swapping out a 4.0L I6

I'm currently running a 4.0L, AW4, NP242 - all stock. The engine has had it. It barely had power before and overheated several times, now it won't hold water. It was 100% water and we had some really cold weather. Not sure if it needs freeze plugs or is cracked. Coolant leaks at the head externally. So...I need a new engine.

I was looking for a 4.0L to swap in when I found this. I like the idea of natural aspiration and less computer, but other than that I'm not sold.

3.4 = all the power of a 4cyl with the fuel economy of the I6

Not worth the work unless you have a 2.8 as previously mentioned

For a 4.3 or V8 swap check on a 700r4 and NP241C combination from an early 90s Chevrolet with IFS. The IFS TCs are driver-side drop. Find a 700r4 transmission with the cast aluminum flex plate cover, these are the heavy duty ones and don't require a computer. Avoid any "adapter" stuff. Use 1350 to 1310 conversion u-joints on the drive shafts. I like computers but I'm not willing to depend on one.
CIMG0010.jpg

If you want power, go big or go home!

It's a 3.4L swap. The other engine was a typo. I'm not necc interested in alot of HP, just a good reliable engine.

I think this V6 is actually from a Buick originally I think.

Back